Resources for Homeless Children and Youth
McKinney-Vento Program Supervisor
District duties | Rights of students
McKinney-Vento Program Supervisor Lead
Training | Data collection
Homeless Student Stability Program Supervisor
Unaccompanied homeless youth | Partial credit for highly mobile youth | State law
Sample forms and templates are provided for districts to meet federal and state program compliance. Items related to Consolidated Program Review are identified by item number.
Statement of Attestation - Consolidated Program Review item 10.4
FAFSA-Independent Student Verification Form - Consolidated Program Review Item 10.7
McKinney-Vento Title I Set-Asides Needs Assessment - Consolidated Program Review Item 10.11
Sample End of School Year Letter for McKinney-Vento Parents/Guardians. Also available in Amharic | Arabic | Burmese | Chinese | Khmer | Korean | Marshallese | Nepali | Persian | Punjabi | Russian | Somali | Spanish | Tagalog | Ukrainian | Vietnamese. *Please use your school district's letterhead.
Sample Informed Consent for Health Care authorization form RCW 7.70.065 authorizes school nurses, school counselors, or homeless student liaisons to provide consent for non-emergency outpatient primary care services for unaccompanied homeless students.
Online Training and Additional Resources
COVID-19 and Student Experiencing Homelessness
McKinney-Vento Orientation for New Liaisons (Full webinar)
The full webinar has been divided into sections for the ease of accessing specific information related to the following questions:
- McKinney-Vento Autumn Training Event, November 2020 presentation slides
- Homeless Student Data Dashboard: An Overview of Tableau and presentation slides
- On-Time Grade Level Progression and Graduation for Highly Mobile Students—A Guide to Implementing RCW 28A.320.192
- FAQ on the Education Rights of Children and Youth in Homeless Situations
- Non-Regulatory Guidance: U.S. Department of Education
- Identification of Homeless Students: An Overview for School District Staff
- Coding Unaccompanied Homeless Youth Data Collection
- Preparing for a Successful CPR Monitoring Visit: McKinney-Vento
- "We Need a Little Time..." This training video on Family and Youth Homelessness in Washington state features students and parents sharing their experience with homelessness. The video also includes interviews with school district liaisons and staff. Filming and production was done by Diane Nilan with Hear Us Inc.
Guide to Designating Your Local School District Liaison
This document is designed to assist SDs to assign a liaison who can fulfill the duties outlined in the law
School Staff Resource
This resource is designed to assist the various roles in a school district with supporting students experiencing homelessness.
State & National Websites
- National Center for Homeless Education (NCHE): Law and Federal Guidance, Webinars, Legislative Updates, Issue Briefs
- SchoolHouse Connection: Webinars, Legislative Updates, Q&A, Chapin Hall Study
- National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth (NAEHCY): Law and Federal Guidance, FAQ, National Conference
- Schoolhouse Washington: Building Changes, Data, Community Resources
- Commerce Office of Homeless Youth (OHY)