Resources for Homeless Children and Youth
Sample forms and templates are provided for districts to meet federal and state program compliance. Items related to Consolidated Program Review are identified by item number.
- Dispute Resolution Process Consolidated Program Review item 10.2. Also available in Amharic | Cambodian | Korean | Marshallese | Punjabi | Russian | Spanish | Tagalog | Ukrainian | Vietnamese
- Sample Dispute Process Paperwork Also available in Amharic | Cambodian | Korean | Marshallese | Punjabi | Russian | Spanish | Tagalog | Ukrainian | Vietnamese
Consolidated Program Review item 10.3
- Sample In Lieu of Transportation Agreement
- Sample Student Transportation Request
- Sample Transportation Agreement
- Sample Transportation Referral Form
- Transportation Q & A
- Access & Opportunity in Education and Student Transportation Transportation Technical Assistance Paper
- Child Find Screening - Consolidated Program Review Item 10.8. Also available in Amharic | Cambodian | Kinyarwanda | Korean | Marshallese | Pashto | Punjabi | Russian | Spanish | Tagalog | Tigrinya | Ukrainian | Vietnamese
- FAFSA-Independent Student Verification Form - Consolidated Program Review Item 10.7
- Housing Questionnaire - Consolidated Program Review Item 10.5. Also available in Amharic | Cambodian | Korean | Marshallese | Punjabi | Russian | Spanish | Tagalog | Ukrainian | Vietnamese
- Intake Form | Spanish - Consolidated Program Review Item 10.6
- McKinney-Vento Title I Set-Asides Needs Assessment - Consolidated Program Review Item 10.11
- Sample End of School Year Letter for McKinney-Vento Parents/Guardians. Also available in Amharic | Arabic | Burmese | Chinese | Khmer | Kinyarwanda | Korean | Marshallese | Nepali | Pashto | Persian | Punjabi | Russian | Somali | Spanish | Tagalog | Tigrinya | Ukrainian | Vietnamese. *Please use your school district's letterhead.
- Sample Informed Consent for Health Care authorization form RCW 7.70.065 authorizes school nurses, school counselors, or homeless student liaisons to provide consent for non-emergency outpatient primary care services for unaccompanied homeless students.
- Statement of Attestation - Consolidated Program Review item 10.4
- What's the Difference Between Foster Care and McKinney-Vento? A side by side comparison of provisions for Foster Care and McKinney-Vento.
- McKinney-Vento Education of Homeless Children and Youth Assistance Act
- Non-Regulatory Guidance: U.S. Department of Education
- Designating and Supporting a Local Homeless Liaison: A Guide for School District Administrators in Washington This document is designed to assist SDs to assign a liaison who can fulfill the duties outlined in the law.
- FAQ on the Education Rights of Children and Youth in Homeless Situations
- Homeless Student Stability education Program (HSSeP) SB5324 - Homeless Student Stability and Opportunity Gap Act
- RCW 28A.320.192: On-time grade level progression and graduation of students who are homeless, dependent, at-risk youth or children, or have been released from an institutional education facility—Rules.
- On-Time Grade Level Progression and Graduation for Highly Mobile Students—A Guide to Implementing RCW 28A.320.192 Awarding partial credit and credit accrual.
- RCW 7.70.065: Informed consent—Persons authorized to provide for patients who are not competent—Priority
- Informed Consent Bulletin 035-21 Informed Consent for Health Care and COVID-19 Vaccinations for Students Experiencing Homelessness.
Annual Training Requirement Sessions for Liaisons
- Session 1: 2022 McKinney-Vento Fall Liaison Training, presentation slides
- Session 2: 2022 McKinney-Vento Fall Liaison Training, presentation slides
- October 5, 2021 Training Recording and October 6 Recording
- October 26, 2021 Repeat Training Recording and October 27 Repeat Recording
- McKinney-Vento Orientation for New Liaisons
- NCHE Webinars
Please note: Content is generally a repeat of the October 5-6 sessions. There are some changes with presenters and discussion/Q&A.
The Liaison Training Survey is required to document the completion of any of the above trainings.
ARP-HCY Technical Support and Professional Development Series
SchoolHouse Connection, in partnership with OSPI, has provided technical support for recipients of American Rescue Plan – Homeless Children and Youth grant funding (ARP-HCY).
- Session 1: Supplementing Not Supplanting Part 1: Maximizing the Impact of ARP-HCY Funds
- Session 2: Supplementing Not Supplanting Part 2: Allowable Uses of ARP-HCY Funds
- Session 3: The Proof is in the Data: Basic Data Collection of ARP-HCY
McKinney-Vento Training Materials for School and District Staff
- McKinney-Vento Training Modules
- McKinney-Vento PowerPoint Slides for District-Level Staff Training
- Companion Activity Guide to Accompany McKinney-Vento PowerPoint Slides for District-Level Staff Training
Additional Trainings & Webinars
- Healthy Youth Survey and Students Experiencing Homelessness, presentation slides
- Accessing and Using Data to Improve Your McKinney-Vento Program, June 2021 presentation slides
- Coding Unaccompanied Homeless Youth Data Collection
- COVID-19 and Student Experiencing Homelessness
- 2022 Identification of Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness, presentation slides
- McKinney-Vento Awareness Video Series
- Preparing for a Successful CPR Monitoring Visit: McKinney-Vento
- School District McKinney-Vento/Foster Care Liaison Forums
- SchoolHouse Connection Webinars
- "We Need a Little Time..."
- This training video on Family and Youth Homelessness in Washington state features students and parents sharing their experience with homelessness. The video also includes interviews with school district liaisons and staff. Filming and production were done by Diane Nilan with Hear Us Inc.
- OSPI Annual Training for Building Points of Contact | Presentation Slides
- Learn about designating and supporting school building points of contact for students experiencing homelessness and in foster care. Also stock your resource toolbox with tips for supporting students including: health related services such as consent for medical care, obtaining identification, granting partial credit to highly mobile students, and more!
- National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth (NAEHCY): Law and Federal Guidance, FAQ, National Conference
- National Center for Homeless Education (NCHE): Law and Federal Guidance, Webinars, Legislative Updates, Issue Briefs
- SchoolHouse Connection: Webinars, Legislative Updates, Q&A, Chapin Hall Study
- Schoolhouse Washington: Building Changes, Data, Community Resources
- Washington Commerce Office of Homeless Youth (OHY)
- McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program: School Staff Resource This resource is designed to assist the various roles in a school district with supporting students experiencing homelessness.
- McKinney-Vento Awareness Video Series
- More resources are coming soon!