Community-Based Organizations Grants
The Washington State Legislature has allocated $12,885,000 of the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) III funds through American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, for grants to community-based organizations (CBOs) to collaborate with Washington school districts to support learning recovery and acceleration. Of the funds, $1,000,000 of this has already been distributed to statewide CBO's leaving $11,885,000 of these funds will be available through the Community-Based Organizations (CBO) Grant to Support Student Learning Recovery and Acceleration.
Organizations eligible to apply include local CBO’s serving specific local needs and populations, which are a Washington Secretary of State registered Nonprofit Corporation and/or Charitable Organization, and/or has 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status.
ESSER Grant Materials
Review ESSER grant applications, basic information, webinar slides, and due dates!
Eligibility Application closes 12/3/21 at 5pm
- Recovery and Acceleration CBO Grant Overview
- Recovery and Acceleration CBO Applicant Eligibility Form Guide
- Eligibility Application
- CBO Grant Eligibility Application Webinar Slides
Application closes 12/3/21 at 5pm
- Mentoring Application Guide
- Mentoring Application
- Mentoring Application Webinar Slides
- Mentoring Application Webinar Q&A
Case Management Supports
Application closes 11/26/21 at 5pm
- Case Management Supports Application Guide
- Case Managemnt Supports Application
- Case Management Webinar Presentation
Behavioral Health Supports
Application closes 11/19/21 at 5pm
- Behavioral Health Supports Application Guide
- Behavioral Health Supports Application
- Behavioral Health Supports Webinar Slides
Grant funds will be allocated in four key activity areas:
- Academic support for students: includes activities such as tutoring, student engagement and enrichment activities
- Behavioral health supports: includes activities such as clinical services and social/emotional/behavioral supports for students
- Case management and wraparound services: includes services for specific populations such as homeless, foster care, refugee, etc.
- Mentoring of students
CBOs must demonstrate a partnership with at least one Local Education Agency (LEA) Washington school district, tribal compact or charter school, to deliver direct services, either in-person or virtual, to support student learning recovery and acceleration. For the purposes of this grant, LEAs include school districts, tribal compacts or charter schools which filed Academic and Student Well-Being Plans. This definition does not include Educational Service Districts (ESDs) or individual school buildings.
Application will consist of a rolling process of competitive grants that starts with an eligibility application followed by grants for specific activity categories. This applicant eligibility form is required for each organization that intends to apply for a grant in one or more activity area. Applicants that qualify will receive a registration number and will be notified when the applications for each area of interest are open.
- Applicant Eligibility Form open 10/18–12/3
- Academic Support Application open 11/1–11/12
- Behavioral Health Application open 11/8–11/19
- Case Management and Wraparound Services Application open 11/15–11/26
- Mentoring Application open 11/22–12/3
- Complete the Community-Based Organizations (CBO) Grant to Support Student Learning Recovery and Acceleration - Applicant Eligibility Form
- Receive confirmation of eligibility and applicant ID number
- Apply to grant program areas as released
Previous CBO Grant Opportunities
OSPI has allocated $8.1 million in federal Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief funds (ESSER funds) through the CARES Act to provide grants to community-based organizations (CBOs) to work in partnership with schools and school districts to support reopening efforts in the 2020-21 school year.
The grants will be provided both to large statewide CBOs with regional networks and to smaller, local CBOs who serve specific local needs and populations. The CBO grants will be focused on expanded learning and integrated student supports to address student and family needs. The grants can also be used to strengthen language and disability access for families and students.
Expanded Learning & Integrated Student Supports
Throughout the different reopening models, community-based organizations are in a unique position to support school districts by provided expanded learning opportunities and integrated student supports that complement student learning, address identified needs, and provide wraparound services to students and their families.
Expanded Learning Opportunities
Expanded learning opportunities (ELOs) are educational activities offered to students before or after school, during school, during intersession breaks, and during summer.
- ELOs include educational supports for blocks of asynchronous (students working on independent learning) and synchronous (students working in real time with an educator) learning time.
- Such opportunities can build skills through hands-on, experiential learning, and expand upon and compliment traditional learning that happens during the school day.
- More information about ELOCs can be found in the 2018 ELOC Guide.
Integrated Student Supports
Integrated student supports (ISS) are a school-based approach to promoting students’ academic success through an integrated system that addresses academic, social-emotional, physical, and mental health and non-academic needs of the student. ISS can also focus on identifying and providing supportive factors for a family such as basic needs, economic supports, childcare, and other community supports.
- Includes student support frameworks such as Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS), Response to Intervention (RTI), School-wide Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS), Interconnected Systems Framework (ISF), and other tiered systems of support that address one or more domains of learning and development.
- More information about ISS can be found in the 2017 Washington Integrated Student Supports Protocol.
- Student Learning CBO Grant Awardees
- CBO iGrants Form Package 989 Reference Guide
- Student Learning CBO Grant Application Process
- Support Student Learning CBO Grant FAQ
- CBO Grant Interest Survey
- Student Learning CBO Grant Overview
- Student Learning CBO Grant brief
- Budget Matrix Guidance for FP989 CBO Grant
- FP 989 CBO Grant Budget Matrix Worksheet
- FP 989 Budget and Claims Instructions
- 1000E Claims Form