In accordance with the Governor’s Proclamation 20-25, “Stay Home, Stay Healthy,” and to protect the health and safety of Washingtonians and our employees, at this time, there is restricted public access to the OSPI building. OSPI will continue serving the public via phone, email, and the website.

See OSPI’s COVID-19 guidance and resources for educators, students, and families.

  • Facebook
  • OSPI on Twitter
  • OSPI Medium
  • OSPI LinkedIn
  • OSPI YouTube
  • OSPI on Flickr
  • Subscribe to OSPI GovDelivery

You are here

Home » Certification » Teachers » In-State Applicants » Teacher College Recommendation

Teacher College Recommendation

This application is for those educators who have completed all of their program requirements and have been recommended for their Residency First Issue Certificate by a state of Washington approved teacher preparation program.

You will not be able to apply for this certificate until it is initiated by your institution.

Requirements Verified by Your Program

  • Completion of a bachelor's degree or higher
  • Completion of a state of Washington approved teacher preparation program
  • Completion of a basic skills test and a content area test
  • Submission of fingerprints for a background check is required, if a valid certificate is not already on record

NOTE: An educator may also be recommended for a Substitute Certificate by their institution. If you have questions about this certificate, please contact your institution.

Dual Endorsement Note: If you have completed an In-State program and will be recommended for Bilingual Education, Early Childhood Special Education, English Language Learner, General Science, and/or Special Education, you will need to complete additional endorsement requirements before your certificate is issued. Dual Endorsement Requirements


If you have all necessary documentation to apply for this certificate, login to: E-Certification

*IMPORTANT: Please note that application fees are NOT refundable. Ensure that you select and submit the correct application. If you have questions regarding your application, please contact our office.