Alternative Learning Experience
Alternative Learning Experience (ALE) is public education where some or all of the instruction is delivered outside of a regular classroom schedule. ALE follows all public education requirements as well as Chapter 392-121-182 WAC.
Guides to assist with implementation of the law:
- ALE Compliance Reviews
- Full-day Kindergarten in ALE - Frequently Asked Questions
- Full-day Kindergarten Planning Guide
- Serving Students with Disabilities
- Core Compliance Self-Study
- Certification & Endorsement Guide
- Substantially Similar Checklist
- Guide to Offering Alternative Learning Experiences
- ALE Year End Report Guidance
Sample Compliance Documents
Monthly Progress Review
Weekly Time Log
Written Student Learning Plan
WAC & RCW Rule Updates
ALE Rule Change Proposal
Changes to ALE rules have been finalized and will be effective August 10, 2020 with the exception of the truancy section which will take effect January 1, 2021. This rule revision includes the following changes:
- Moves the rules governing ALE to chapter 392-550 WAC and simplifies WAC 392-121-182 to include only enrollment reporting requirements.
- Removes the requirement to obtain a parent signature documenting the parent’s understanding of the difference between home-based instruction and ALE. A requirement to notify families of the difference at enrollment and in school/program materials remains.
- Defines truancy and a truancy protocol in ALE settings (Note: This change takes effect January 1, 2021).
The following information regarding this rule revision can be found on the OSPI Rulemaking website:
- 2020: January | February | March | April | May
- 2019: January | February | March | April | May | June | August | September | October | November | December
- 2018: January | February | March | April | May | August | September | October | November | December
- Watch CEDARS Reporting for ALE Courses webinar
- Watch ALE Compliance webinar
- Watch Online School Program Guidance webinar
- 2019-20 ALE Year End Report Module 1 – Report Overview
- 2019-20 ALE Year End Report Module 2 – SAFS Component
- 2019-20 ALE Year End Report Module 3 – Substantially Similar Component