Early Learning Collaboration
The purpose of the Early Learning Collaboration component of WaKIDS is to promote a shared understanding of kindergarten readiness; improve the preparedness of children, families, schools, and communities; and ultimately, provide a smooth transition for children and families.
The expectations for Early Learning Collaboration are outlined in RCW 28A.150.315 which include developing strong connections to community early learning providers and participating in kindergarten-readiness activities.
School districts are collaborating with early learning providers in a variety of ways, including:
- Participating in shared professional development
- Sharing Pre-K transition reports
- Reviewing WaKIDS data
- Coordinating cross-program visits
- Co-hosting kindergarten-readiness events for preschoolers and their families
- Attending local early learning coalition meetings
This guide is a collection of recommended action steps and considerations specific to school-based early learning programs for children ages 0–8 years. Guidance for meeting Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) for young students with disabilities can be found on the OSPI website on the Special Education Guidance for COVID-19 webpage. Guidance for early learning and child care settings can be found on the Department of Children, Youth, and Families website. In the upcoming weeks, OSPI will also be providing guidance specific to the administration of WaKIDS, the Washington Kindergarten Inventory of Developing Skills.
- Help for Principals Seeking to Locate Child Care Providers Near Their Schools
- Alignment of Teaching Strategies GOLD and Washington State Early Learning and Development Guidelines
- WaKIDS Implementation Guide for Teachers 2021-22
This guide provides an overview of the requirements of WaKIDS during the 2020-21 school year and includes considerations for conducting each of the three components of WaKIDS remotely – Family Connection, Early Learning Collaboration and Whole-child Assessment.
- Characteristics of Children Entering Kindergarten English | Spanish describes attributes commonly found in entering kindergartners and measured by WaKIDS.
- List of GOLD™ Objectives Assessed by WaKIDS | Spanish (revised 2015)
- Washington State Kindergarten Transition Form
- WaKIDS Early Learning Collaboration Child Care Provider Data Request Form
- Early Math Brochures for Families
- Washington State Early Learning and Development Guidelines Birth Through Third Grade