2021 Budget Priorities
Empower all Schools to Support the Whole Child
- Modernize the outdated school funding model and increase the levels of school staffing who support the safety and social-emotional needs of all students.
- Support statewide implementation of the multi-tiered systems of support (MTSS) framework so all students will have access to tiered academic, social, emotional, and behavioral supports.
- Expand educator access to professional learning that build inclusive instructional skills and their ability to teach all students in general education settings.
Support Students and their Families
- Close the digital divide in K–12 learning by helping districts, families, and child care facilities acquire learning devices and secure internet connection services for students.
- Increase statewide capacity to support students, families, educators, and community members in navigating the special education system.
Expand Access to Supports Aligned to Student Interests
- Modernize high school mathematics curricula to provide students with diverse foundational skills crucial for modern careers aligned to their interests.
- Support schools in creating the learning spaces needed for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education equipment for career and technical education (CTE) programs.
Create and Maintain Safe Learning Environments
- Fund the School Seismic Safety Retrofit Program to help districts perform needed natural hazard evaluations and perform seismic retrofits on school buildings.
- Support school districts that lack the financial resources needed to address long-standing and urgent concerns impacting safety, health, and comfort in school buildings.
- Partner with local school districts to plan, construct, and renovate schools through the School Construction Assistance Program (SCAP).
- Assist school districts and tribal compact schools that are not eligible to participate in SCAP.