The School Avoidance & Refusal Alliance is dedicated to sharing best practice interventions, school avoidance facts, and resources for helping kids with school avoidance get back to learning (school).
Attendance Resources & Materials
On this page, you will find tools for understanding your data, planning and assessment tools, information on attendance screeners, and a variety of resources for communicating about attendance.
For more Attendance Awareness resources, check out and join the Attendance Works 2021 Attendance Awareness Campaign!
- Attendance Works offers excel tools that will easily produce reports that display the data listed above by simply importing your student-level data.
- Strive for Five Attendance Tracker (Grandview). Consider creating something like this for your students and parents based on your school calendar. Help them track their attendance with ease!
These tools can help you understand factors in your school or community that may be impacting groups of students.
- Understanding the Factors Contributing to Chronic Absence in Your School
- Scan of Environment & Attendance Tool (SEAT)
- Student Voice Survey
- Healthy Youth Survey
- Anonymous Student Survey
- Anonymous Box: Try putting a box in the front office for students to explain anonymously why they were absent.
- Geographic Mapping (BatchGeo) is a free online tool that can help identify geographic trends in your students’ attendance.
- Attendance Awareness is not just for September. Use this planning tool from Federal Way to keep attendance at the forefront in your school or district throughout the year.
- Attendance System Improvement Guide:
- This guide is designed to help schools and districts understand and interpret attendance data, engage in a collaborative self-assessment of your school or district’s strengths and challenges regarding Regular Attendance, and develop concrete plans to improve Regular Attendance in your school or district
- Attendance MTSS Tiered Inventory
- Attendance Works Assessment Tools
- "Increasing Student Attendance with a Human Approach" Selah Assistant Principal Lee Grams shares his view of a positive approach to attendance and a culture of care.
- This Attendance Letter template provides parents with the information about attendance required by law in RCW 28A.225.005.
- Washougal school district created a script for their teachers to have supportive conversations with parents about students' absences.
- Find Handouts for Parents (One-pagers) of all ages on the Attendance Works website.
- How to Talk to Parents about Attendance-Communication that Works (One-pager).
- Customizable Email to Teachers
- Distance Learning Connecting Hierarchy (High Seser ESD, Oregon)
- Writing Truancy Notices that Can Improve Attendance
- EveryDay Labs: Family Insights Toolkit
- Strategies for Contacting/Connecting with Students and Families (Attendance Works)
- Washington Assessment of Risks and Needs of Students (WARNS)
- Attendance Research Summary (Attendance Works)
- Attendance Playbook: Smart Solutions for Reducing Chronic Absenteeism )FutureEd and Attendance Works)
OSPI GATE Equity Webinars:
- Communicating Care Through Attendance Teams
- How Do Schools Prioritize and Maintain Connections With all Students?
- Engaging and Culturally Responsive Remote Learning Environments
- One District's Approach to Supporting Attendance
- Attendance Community Cafes
- Sunnyside High School’s Attendance System
- Barnes Elementary (Kelso SD) Attendance System
- Attendance Works Webinars
- National Student Attendance, Engagement, and Success Center (NSAESC)
Social Media Messaging
In this section, you can find social media messaging, videos, posters to order and download, and wake-up call/robocall recordings from the Seattle Sounders and Seattle Seahawks.
- Attend Today, Achieve Tomorrow | Translations
- Cartoon Attend Today, Achieve Tomorrow | Translations
- See for Yourself | Translations
Are you looking to order attendance awareness poster boards? Fill out the OSPI Attendance Awareness Materials order form. If you are ordering for a school, please continue onto our survey. If you are ordering for a district, please contact either Patti Tucci or Krissy Johnson.
Postcards to Send Students Following an Absence
Public Service Announcement Videos
The Seattle Sounders, Rave Foundation, The Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, and the Office of the Governor have teamed up to record two Public Service Announcements. Check them out:
Seattle Seahawks Tyler Lockett
Seattle Sounders Cristian Roldan
Seattle Sounders Nicolas Lodeiro (Spanish)