Educational Opportunity Gap Oversight and Accountability Committee
The Educational Opportunity Gap Oversight and Accountability Committee (EOGOAC) was created by the 2009 legislature to synthesize the findings and recommendations from the 2008 Achievement Gap Studies into an Achievement Gap Studies Implementation Plan.
The committee is responsible for recommending policies and strategies to OSPI, the Professional Educator Standards Board, and the State Board of Education to close the opportunity gap in the following areas:
- Supporting and facilitating parent and community involvement and outreach.
- Enhancing the cultural competency of current and future educators and the cultural relevance of curriculum and instruction.
- Expanding pathways and strategies to prepare and recruit diverse teachers and administrators.
- Recommending current programs and resources that should be redirected to narrow the gap.
- Identifying data elements and systems needed to monitor progress in closing the gap.
- Making closing the achievement gap part of the school and school district improvement process.
- Exploring innovative school models that have shown success in closing the achievement gap. (RCW 28A.300.136)
The EOGOAC meets on the third Tuesday of each month. Meetings are open to the public. If you need accommodations or language interpretation, please contact our office within 10 days prior to the meeting.
RCW 28A.300.136 Educational opportunity gap oversight and accountability committee - Policy and strategy recommendations.
|Bill Kallappa||Governor's Office of Indian Affairs|
|Senator Bob Hasegawa||Senate, additional member appointed by the President of the Senate|
|Representative Alex Ybarra||House of Representatives, Designee for Ranking Minority Member|
* Sean Heans (alternate)
|Office of the Education Ombuds (OEO)|
|Superintendent Chris Reykdal
* Tennille Jeffries-Simmons
|Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI)|
* Lydia Faitalia (alternate)
|Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs (Pacific American)|
* Erin Okuno (alternate)
|Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs (Asian American)|
|Vacant||Senate, Ranking Minority Member|
|Representative Lillian Ortiz-Self||House of Representatives, additional member appointed by the Speaker of the House|
|Senator Lisa Wellman||Senate, Early Learning and K-12 Education Committee Chair|
|Representative Sharon Tomiko Santos||House of Representatives, Education Committee Chair|
Dr. Randy Nuñez
|Commission on Hispanic Affairs|
|Dr. James Smith
* Dr. Tyson Marsh (alternate)
|Commission on African American Affairs|
Committee Co-Chairs: Representative Lillian Ortiz-Self and Fiasili Savusa