Educational Opportunity Gap Oversight and Accountability Committee
October 20, 2020
- Agenda TBD
- October Online Zoom Meeting - link coming soon
- Meeting ID: TBD
- Dial In: +1 253 215 8782 US
EOGOAC meetings are open to the public. If you need accommodations or language interpretation, please contact our office within 10 days prior to the meeting.
The Educational Opportunity Gap Oversight and Accountability Committee (EOGOAC) was created by the 2009 Legislature to continue to address the achievement gap in Washington state.
The committee is charged by RCW 28A.300.136 to synthesize the findings and recommendations from the five 2008 Achievement Gap Studies into an implementation plan and recommend policies and strategies to the Superintendent of Public Instruction, the Professional Educator Standards Board and the State Board of Education in the following areas:
- Supporting and facilitating parent and community involvement and outreach.
- Enhancing the cultural competency of current and future educators and the cultural relevance of curriculum and instruction.
- Expanding pathways and strategies to prepare and recruit diverse teachers and administrators.
- Recommending current programs and resources that should be redirected to narrow the gap.
- Identifying data elements and systems needed to monitor progress in closing the gap.
- Making closing the achievement gap part of the school and school district improvement process.
- Exploring innovative school models that have shown success in closing the achievement gap.
The statute requires OSPI to identify school districts that have the most significant achievement gaps among subgroups of students and for large numbers of those students, and districts that should receive priority for assistance in advancing cultural competency skills in their workforce.
RCW 28A.300.136 Educational opportunity gap oversight and accountability committee - Policy and strategy recommendations.
|Bill Kallappa||Governor's Office of Indian Affairs|
|Senator Bob Hasegawa||Senate, additional member appointed by the President of the Senate|
|Representative Bob McCaslin||House of Representatives, Designee for Ranking Minority Member|
* Yordanos Gebreamlak (alternate)
|Office of the Education Ombuds (OEO)|
|Superintendent Chris Reykdal
* Jamila Thomas (alternate)
|Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI)|
* Lydia Faitalia (alternate)
|Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs (Pacific American)|
* Dr. Julie Kang (alternate)
|Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs (Asian American)|
|Senator Hans Zeiger||Senate, Designee for Ranking Minority Member|
|Representative Lillian Ortiz-Self||House of Representatives, additional member appointed by the Speaker of the House|
|Senator Lisa Wellman||Senate, Early Learning and K-12 Education Committee Chair|
|Representative Sharon Tomiko Santos||House of Representatives, Education Committee Chair|
|Dr. Renteria Valencia||Commission on Hispanic Affairs|
|Dr. Wanda Billingsly
* Dr. James Smith (alternate)
|Commission on African American Affairs|
Committee Co-Chairs: Representative Lillian Ortiz-Self and Fiasili Savusa