Educational Opportunity Gap Oversight and Accountability Committee
August 18, 2020
- August 18 Meeting Agenda
- August 18 Online Zoom Meeting
- Meeting ID: 958 1112 0174
- Dial In: +1 253 215 8782 US
August 22, 2020
- Virtual Family and Community Forum
- Space will be limited, so please pre-register.
- View the forum agenda in another language.
EOGOAC meetings are open to the public. If you need accommodations or language interpretation, please contact our office within 10 days prior to the meeting.
The Educational Opportunity Gap Oversight and Accountability Committee (EOGOAC) was created by the 2009 Legislature to continue to address the achievement gap in Washington state.
The committee is charged by RCW 28A.300.136 to synthesize the findings and recommendations from the five 2008 Achievement Gap Studies into an implementation plan and recommend policies and strategies to the Superintendent of Public Instruction, the Professional Educator Standards Board and the State Board of Education in the following areas:
- Supporting and facilitating parent and community involvement and outreach.
- Enhancing the cultural competency of current and future educators and the cultural relevance of curriculum and instruction.
- Expanding pathways and strategies to prepare and recruit diverse teachers and administrators.
- Recommending current programs and resources that should be redirected to narrow the gap.
- Identifying data elements and systems needed to monitor progress in closing the gap.
- Making closing the achievement gap part of the school and school district improvement process.
- Exploring innovative school models that have shown success in closing the achievement gap.
The statute requires OSPI to identify school districts that have the most significant achievement gaps among subgroups of students and for large numbers of those students, and districts that should receive priority for assistance in advancing cultural competency skills in their workforce.
RCW 28A.300.136 Educational opportunity gap oversight and accountability committee - Policy and strategy recommendations.
|Bill Kallappa||Governor's Office of Indian Affairs|
* Yordanos Gebreamlak (alternate)
|Office of the Education Ombuds (OEO)|
* Lydia Faitalia (alternate)
|Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs (Pacific American)|
|Representative Lillian Ortiz-Self||House of Representatives, additional member appointed by the Speaker of the House|
* Dr. Julie Kang (alternate)
|Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs (Asian American)|
|Dr. Wanda Billingsly
* Dr. James Smith (alternate)
|Commission on African American Affairs|
|Superintendent Chris Reykdal
* Jamila Thomas (alternate)
|Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI)|
|Representative Bob McCaslin||House of Representatives, Designee for Ranking Minority Member|
|Senator Bob Hasegawa||Senate, Designee for Ranking Minority Member|
|Representative Sharon Tomiko Santos||House of Representatives, Education Committee Chair|
|Senator Lisa Wellman||Senate, Early Learning and K-12 Education Committee Chair|
|Senator Hans Zeiger||Senate|
|Dr. Julieta Altamirano Crosby||Commission on Hispanic Affairs|
Committee Co-Chairs: Representative Lillian Ortiz-Self and Fiasili Savusa