Dyslexia is a specific learning disorder that is neurological in origin and that is characterized by unexpected difficulties with accurate or fluent word recognition and by poor spelling and decoding abilities that are not consistent with the person's intelligence, motivation, and sensory capabilities. These difficulties typically result from a deficit in the phonological components of language that is often unexpected in relation to other cognitive abilities. Secondary consequences may include problems in reading comprehension and reduced reading experience that can impede growth of vocabulary and background knowledge. (E2SSB 6162)
This definition of dyslexia is adopted by the 65th WA State Legislature, 2018 Regular Session.
New Implementation Milestone
OSPI, on behalf of the Dyslexia Advisory Council, will post on its website the following resources:
- Best Practices for literacy screening implementation
- Best practices for using Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS)
- Educational information for parents and families
- Addressing needs for students in grades 3 and above
- Guidance for supporting English Language Learners
Implementation of E2SSB 6162
Early Screening of Dyslexia
- The Dyslexia Advisory Council
- Recommended Literacy Screening Tools And Best Practices for Implementation
- April 9, 2019 Webinar-Update on Implementation of Early Screening of Dyslexia
- August 20, 2019 Webinar: Introducing the Dyslexia Advisory Council Recommended Literacy Screening Tools
- December 11, 2019 Webinar: Update on Early Screening of Dyslexia
- March 18, 2020 Webinar: Update on Early Screening of Dyslexia
- August 6, 2020 Webinar: Update on Early Screening of Dyslexia
Related OSPI Programs
- Dyslexia definition.
- Dyslexia interventions.
- Dyslexia reporting requirements.
- Dyslexia screening tools.
- Dyslexia advisory council. (Expires August 1, 2023.)
- Dyslexia recommendations.
- Dyslexia rules.
- Washington Administrative Code
- Federal Department of Education Dear Colleague Letter on Supporting Students with Dyslexia
- Dyslexia Resource Guide
- Washington State Branch of the International Dyslexia Association
- Council for Exceptional Children, Division of Learning Disabilities
- Council for Learning Disabilities
- LD Online
- Learning Disabilities Association
- The National Center for Learning Disabilities RTI Action Network
- The National Research Center on Learning Disabilities
Past Dyslexia Summaries & Reports
- Status Report on the Educator Training Program to Improve Instruction of Students with Dyslexia September 2009
- Lorraine Wojahn Dyslexia Pilot Reading Program Report to the Legislature January 2009
- Lorraine Wojahn Dyslexia Pilot Project Update January 2007
- Lorraine Wojahn Dyslexia Reading Pilot Legislative Summary January 2006