Dyslexia is a specific learning disorder that is neurological in origin and that is characterized by unexpected difficulties with accurate or fluent word recognition and by poor spelling and decoding abilities that are not consistent with the person's intelligence, motivation, and sensory capabilities.
This definition of dyslexia is adopted by the 65th WA State Legislature, 2018 Regular Session.
Early Screening of Dyslexia Implementation Resources
Beginning in the 2021-22 school year, students in grades K-2 will be screened for indications of or areas of weakness associated with dyslexia, school districts will use Multi-Tiered Systems of Support in grades K-2 communicate, and collaborate with parents and families about student literacy development, screening results, and potential literacy interventions.
Dyslexia Advisory Council
The Washington state Dyslexia Advisory Council is tasked with identifying tools and resources that will help screen for dyslexia or indicators of dyslexia. Additionally, they're working to develop recommendations on best practices for implementing the screenings in school districts, staff training to target the areas of need for those experiencing dyslexia or indicators of dyslexia, information for parents and families that includes a list of resources, and best practices to help students in grades three and above who might be experiencing dyslexia.
Washington State Dyslexia Resource Guide
The Washington Branch of the International Dyslexia Association (WABIDA), in collaboration with the OSPI Reading Office, created the Washington State Dyslexia Resource Guide to provide guidance to schools and families in the realm of dyslexia. This guide is intended for administrators, educators, and caregivers with three goals in mind: build an understanding of the term dyslexia; learn how to identify students with dyslexia, and support teachers and parents in educating students with dyslexia.
Updates & Related Laws
- April 9, 2019 Webinar-Update on Implementation of Early Screening of Dyslexia
- August 20, 2019 Webinar: Introducing the Dyslexia Advisory Council Recommended Literacy Screening Tools
- December 11, 2019 Webinar: Update on Early Screening of Dyslexia
- March 18, 2020 Webinar: Update on Early Screening of Dyslexia
- August 6, 2020 Webinar: Update on Early Screening of Dyslexia
- December 2020 Webinar: Update on Early Screening of Dyslexia
- April 14, 2021 Early Screening of Dyslexia Update
- June 17, 2021 Early Screening of Dyslexia Update
- October 4, 2021 Early Screening of Dyslexia Update Slide Deck
- Status Report on the Educator Training Program to Improve Instruction of Students with Dyslexia September 2009
- Lorraine Wojahn Dyslexia Pilot Reading Program Report to the Legislature January 2009
- Lorraine Wojahn Dyslexia Pilot Project Update January 2007
- Lorraine Wojahn Dyslexia Reading Pilot Legislative Summary January 2006
- Dyslexia definition
- Dyslexia interventions
- Dyslexia reporting requirements
- Dyslexia screening tools
- Dyslexia advisory council (Expires August 1, 2023.)
- Dyslexia recommendations
- Dyslexia rules
- Washington Administrative Code
- Federal Department of Education Dear Colleague Letter on Supporting Students with Dyslexia
- Dyslexia Resource Guide
- Washington State Branch of the International Dyslexia Association
- Council for Exceptional Children, Division of Learning Disabilities
- Council for Learning Disabilities
- LD Online
- Learning Disabilities Association
- The National Center for Learning Disabilities RTI Action Network
- The National Research Center on Learning Disabilities