Publications and Bulletins
Resources on this page provide reference and guidance material and links for local education agencies and the public.
- 2021-22 Student Transportation Directory
- Washington State Student Transportation RCWs and WACs
- Washington State School Bus Driver Handbook
- 2022 School Bus Specifications Manual
- 2019 School Bus and Traffic Safety Education Vehicle Inspection Manual
- Technical Assistance Paper No. 2 McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
- 2022-23 State Accepted Quotes for School Bus Categories - B058-22, Attach 1
- Reimbursement and Categories for School Buses, 2022-23 School Year B057-22, Attach 1
- Required Student Transportation Operations, 2022-23 School Year - B054-22, Attach 1, Attach 2
- School Bus Driver Compliance Report for the 2022-23 School Year - B052-22
- Allocation Operation - B014-22, Attach 1
Reports & Studies
- School Walk and Bike Routes: A Guide for Planning and Improving Walk and Bike to School Options for Students
A publication developed by the Washington Traffic Safety Commission and the Washington State Department of Transportation, this guide is a valuable resource for those wishing to establish or monitor safe walking routes to and from school.
- The Relative Risks of School Travel
This 2002 study from the National Academy of Sciences is a comprehensive comparison of the risks associated with the various modes of travel to and from school. There is an excellent executive summary.
- School Bus Safety: Crashworthiness Research
This 2002 study from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is the result of the US Congress requesting the US Department of Transportation to investigate the safety value of installing safety belts on school buses. Lots of technical information.
- Vans Used for School Transportation
A position paper from the National Association of State Directors of Pupil Transportation Services discusses the NTSB study of non-conforming vans in school transportation.
- Pupil Transportation System Security: Different Times – Added Responsibilities
A position paper from the National Association of State Directors of Student Transportation Services discusses school transportation security in the post-9/11 world. An overview provides guidance on an action plan.