In accordance with the Governor’s Proclamation 20-25, “Stay Home, Stay Healthy,” and to protect the health and safety of Washingtonians and our employees, at this time, there is restricted public access to the OSPI building. OSPI will continue serving the public via phone, email, and the website.

See OSPI’s COVID-19 guidance and resources for educators, students, and families.

  • Facebook
  • OSPI on Twitter
  • OSPI Medium
  • OSPI LinkedIn
  • OSPI YouTube
  • OSPI on Flickr
  • Subscribe to OSPI GovDelivery

You are here

Home » Educator Support » Continuing Education Clock Hours » Department of Health License Hours as Clock Hours Information

Department of Health License Hours as Clock Hours Information

WAC 181-85-077 allows educators to use continuing education units (CEUs), credits, or clock hours that satisfy the continuing education requirements for their state professional health license, for Washington , as in-service credits. Form SPI 4098V is used to document license hours as clock hours for certification purposes. To be eligible, an educator must hold the following Washington State Department of Health license:

  • Licensed advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP) (WAC 246-840-360),
  • Licensed occupational therapist (WAC 246-847-065),
  • Licensed marriage and family therapist (counselor) (WAC 246-809-600),
  • Licensed mental health counselor (WAC 246-809-600),
  • Licensed pharmacist (WAC 246-861-020),
  • Licensed physical therapist (WAC 246-915-085),
  • Licensed practical nurse (LPN),
  • Licensed psychologist (WAC 246-924-230),
  • Licensed registered nurse (RN) (WAC 246-840-203,204,& 205) effective January 1, 2011
  • Licensed social worker (WAC 246-809-600),
  • Licensed speech-language pathologist or audiologist (WAC 246-828-510)
  • Licensed athletic trainer (WAC 246-916-060), or
  • Licensed home care aide (WAC 246-980-110)

Educators with other than the above Washington licenses do not require continuing education to maintain their professional health license and may not use continuing education units (CEUs), credits, or clock hours accordingly.

Educators may use hours earned to renew their Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) certificate from the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB)

Educators may also use the following valid national licenses in place of approved clock hours for renewal:

  • American Speech and Language Association license (ASHA)
  • Nationally Certified School Psychologist license (NCSP)
  • National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS)

ESA Clock Hour Verification form