Healthy Youth Survey
- Safe Schools FIT Toolkit
- Risks Factors and Warning Signs of Suicide
- "Gizmo's Pawesome Guide to Mental Health" (how to talk to kids about mental health)
Tobacco and Vaping
- Info on E-Cigarettes for parents, educators and health care providers
- Escape the Vape website
- Smoke free teens.gov
- Know the WA State Law
- What are the Health effects of Marijuana?
- What You Need to Know About Marijuana Use and Teens
Prescription Drugs and Opiates
The Healthy Youth Survey (HYS) is a statewide, collaborative effort of OSPI, the Department of Health, the Department of Social and Health Service's Division of Behavioral and Health and Recovery, Family Policy Council, Department of Commerce, and Liquor Control Board.
The survey is conducted every two years. In the fall of 2018, over 230,000 students in over 1,000 schools from 236 school districts in all 39 counties took part. Results are located on the Healthy Youth Survey website.
2018 Healthy Youth Survey
- Healthy Youth Press Release on Substance Abuse
- Mental Health Press Release
- Data Briefs:
Accessing your Data
Please visit the AskHYS.net website for guidance on how to access your data.
What it measures
The survey measures health risk behaviors that contribute to morbidity, mortality, and social problems among youth in Washington state. These behaviors include alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use, behaviors that result in unintentional and intentional injuries (e.g., violence), dietary behaviors, physical activity, and related risk and protective factors.
How it informs
The survey results are an important source of needs-assessment data for school districts, community-based organizations, local health and human service agencies, and state agencies. The results are used to monitor the health status of adolescents and track progress on state and federal education and health-related goals. HYS results help schools make evidence-based decisions that lead not only to positive academic outcomes but also provides information that allows schools to identify conditions that impact student learning and the overall school climate. Schools in Washington state with students in grades 6, 8, 10, and/or 12 are eligible to participate. The survey takes only one class period to administer, and student participation is completely voluntary and anonymous. Participation is free.
How you can participate
If you have questions about registering for the 2018 Healthy Youth Survey, please email SurveyAdmin@AskHYS.net
If participating, principals must agree to follow the survey administration procedures:
- Administer the survey during the allocated administration time, which is October 8-19th.
- Send out an informational survey brochure to parents provided in the materials sent to schools prior to the survey administration.
- Post information about the survey on the school website.
- Inform students of the survey.
- Place a copy of the survey in the school office for parent review.
- Provide an alternative activity for those students that choose not to participate in the survey.
- Correctional facilities are not eligible to participate based on Human Research Review rules.
Download recruitment materials such as answers to frequently asked questions, an overview of each type of behavior covered by the survey and a statement of rationale for the inclusion of these items, details about using the survey data, and regional recruitment contacts.