Beginning Educator Support Team
The Beginning Educator Support Team (BEST) is seeking Mentor Academy Faculty, Preservice Mentor Academy Faculty, Induction Coaches, and Roundtable Facilitators. The complete procurement and submittal instructions can be found on the Competitive Procurements page.
All proposals must be received by May 22, 2020 at 3:00 pm. All questions and communication must be directed to the contracts Coordinator, Kyla Moore at email@example.com.
The Beginning Educator Support Team (BEST) is one way new teachers in Washington are provided support through comprehensive induction. The goal of the program is to support and retain new teachers and ensure an equitable, high-quality education for every student in Washington. When we set up our novice teachers for success, we set up their students for success.
“Washington school districts who are fully engaged in the BEST mentoring program retain new educators at a four percentage-point higher rate than school districts who do not use the program, according to a study published this month by the University of Washington (UW) College of Education’s Center of Teaching and Policy.”-Superintendent Chris Reykdal
Standards for Beginning Educator Induction.
A tool to guide mentors in self-assessment and reflection.
Free opportunities across the state for mentors and coaches to build and strengthen their knowledge to support novice teachers.
Competitive grants are awarded to school districts and/or regional consortia when funds are made available by the Legislature. BEST will award grants to continuing grantees for the 2020-2021 school year, but will not to be accepting new applications.
- A Review of Best Practices in New Teacher Mentoring
- Full text Examining Beginning Teacher Retention and Mobility in WA State – UW – May 2017
- Full text Understanding Teacher Retention and Mobility in WA State – UW – January 2017
- Article: What we do for teachers, we do for their students
- Orientation: Six Tasks of the First Days and Weeks of School - Equity Lens
- Listen to the voices of teachers and mentors in BEST
- Learn how to improve induction with BEST