OSPI's building is closed to the public until further notice. OSPI will continue serving the public via phone, email, and the website.
See OSPI’s COVID-19 guidance and resources for educators, students, and families.

  • Facebook
  • OSPI on Twitter
  • OSPI Medium
  • OSPI LinkedIn
  • OSPI YouTube
  • OSPI on Flickr
  • Subscribe to OSPI GovDelivery

You are here

Home » Certification » Administrators » Out-of-State Applicants - Administrators » Residency Principal or Program Administrator

Residency Principal or Program Administrator


This application is for those principal and program administrator applicants who completed their preparation program in another state or have met the requirements below.

The principal and program administrator roles are separated in the state of Washington.

  • The Residency Principal Certificate is for school-level leadership as a principal, assistant principal or vice-principal
  • The Residency Program Administrator Certificate is for district-level leadership roles other than superintendent or assistant superintendent roles, e.g. director level positions. This certificate is not required by the state of Washington to be employed in a program administrator role. This is NOT the appropriate application for the first tier Superintendent Certificate. To find information regarding the Superintendent Certificate.

If you are unsure which application to complete based on your program or experience, please contact the Certification Office before submitting an application.


  • Completion of a master's degree. Must submit official transcripts showing degree
  • Completion of a state approved administrator preparation program Form 4001EOR
  • Three years of full-time, out of state administrator experience AND a copy of an out of state administrator certificate Form 4020F-1
  • Submission of fingerprints for a background check is required, if a valid certificate is not already on record
Additional Requirements for Principal Certificates Only:
  • Hold or have previously held a regular teacher, educational staff associate or Initial/Continuing CTE Certificate
  • Verification of three years of successful school-based instructional experience in an educational setting. Form 4001F


If you have all necessary documentation to apply for this certificate, login to: E-Certification

*IMPORTANT: Please note that application fees are NOT refundable. Ensure that you select and submit the correct application. If you have questions regarding your application, please contact our office.