Classified School Employee of the Year
- Nominations for 2020 are closed.
- Nominations for 2021 will open in October 2020!
The Classified School Employee of the Year program recognizes one classified employee from each of Washington's educational service districts every year. A selection committee choses the state Classified School Employee of the Year from this group of regional finalists.
The award is available to any classified school or district employee working at least half-time.
OSPI sends your nominee, their supervisor, and their regional coordinator a copy of the nomination and a link to the online application. The application includes biographical information, a few essays, and letters of recommendation. Nominees must submit an application to be considered for their region's finalist.
Recipient Selection Process
Applications are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- The educator has the respect and admiration of their community.
- The educator collaborates with colleagues, students, and families to create a school culture of respect and success.
- The educator is a leader who makes connections between their daily work and student success.
The State Superintendent recognizes the regional finalists and announces the state Classified School Employee of the Year at the annual spring award ceremony hosted at the Old Capitol Building (OSPI) in Olympia. The state award winner and regional finalists attend a leadership retreat prior to the announcement and are invited to several annual recognition events including the Reception at the Mansion for award-winning educators.