Applying for Safety Net Funding
Safety net funding is available to school districts with a demonstrated capacity for Special Education funding in excess of state and federal funding otherwise provided. The Safety Net Application Bulletin discusses allocated funding, the application process, deadlines, committee members, and more!
Worksheet A - Available upon request
- Medicaid Provider Eligibility Verification: Complete this form if the LEA is billing Medicaid but has providers who are not eligible to bill.
Applications are submitted via a Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) site. There are many versions of this type of software, but OSPI recommends the free version of CoreFTP. Work with your LEA's IT department to install this software. Contact the Safety Net Team to set up an SFTP account if you do not already have one.
- Download the free version of CoreFTP.
- OSPI’s SFTP User Guide.
- SFTP File Structure and Naming Conventions
Once the application files are uploaded to the SFTP, complete the application submission form. This form notifies the Safety Net team of your submission. A confirmation email will be sent within three business days of receipt.
OSPI Organized Training
These trainings will be hosted by OSPI. Please register in advance for these trainings.
- Worksheet C Mini Training: December 2, 2021 at 10 am
- 1:1 Contractor Tab Mini Training: December 16, 2021 at 10 am
- General Yearly Safety Net Training: January 6, 2022 at 10 am
- Worksheet A Mini Training: January 25, 2021 at 1 pm
- Contact the Safety Net Team if you would like to set up one-on-one Safety Net training.
ESD Organized Training
These trainings will be hosted by the ESD listed. Questions about these trainings should be directed to the ESD hosting the training
- ESD 171: November 2, 2021 at 2 pm
- ESD 112: November 12, 2021 at 10 am
- ESD 121: November 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
- ESD 123: November 19, 2021 at 10:15 am
- ESD 189: December 8, 2021 at 9:15 am
- ESD 105: December 15, 2021 at 9:30 am
- ESD 113: December 16, 2021 at 1:15 pm
- ESD 114: December 17, 2021 at 9:45 am
- ESD 101: January 20, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- High School and Beyond Plan (HSBP) and Safety Net Mini Training Video | HSBP & Safety Net Training Slides
- 2020-21 Safety Net Frequently Asked Questions
- 2020-21 Safety Net Training Presentation
- 2020-21 Safety Net Training Presentation Recording
- Completing the 1-on-1 Contracted Billing Worksheet
- Completing Worksheet C Example
- Completing Worksheet C for an Out of District Placement Example
- Computing Annualized Caseload
- Splitting Weeks Between Multiple Providers
Please note: Some of these examples include redacted IEP matrices that were provided by a local district. We are in no way endorsing how information is reported on the matrices, but merely using the example to show how we would report the information on Worksheet C.
Past Application Summaries
- 2020–21 Safety Net Application Summary (posted September 2021)
- 2019–20 Safety Net Application Summary (posted September 2021)
- 2018–19 Safety Net Application Summary (posted September 2019)
- 2017–18 Safety Net Application Summary (posted September 2018)
- 2016–17 Safety Net Application Summary (posted August 2017)
- 2015–16 Safety Net Application Summary (posted September 2016)
- 2014–15 Safety Net Application Summary (posted September 2015)