Annual State Technology Survey
The 2019-2020 technology survey was conducted between December 2019 and April 2020. A brief summary of the data is provided below along with the questions asked. The complete data set is available upon request from Dennis Small.
2019-20 Annual Technology Survey Snapshot
All 295 districts responded to our annual technology survey.
- Virtually all classrooms are networked with Internet connectivity.
- 99.7% of Washington school buildings have at least a 10 Mbps connection to the Internet, and 98.7% have at least a 100 Mbps connection.
Wireless Internet Access
- 99.7% of Washington school buildings provide some degree of wireless access to the Internet. Of those buildings, over 97% provide access throughout the entire building.
- A total of 1,194,396 instructional devices are in use (an increase of over 620,000 devices since 2014-15!)
- 48.9% of instructional devices run ChromeOS (Chromebooks), 40.3% run Windows OS (primarily Windows 10), 7.6% run iOS (iPads), and 2.6% run Macintosh OS
- Nearly all K-12 certificated staff have email accounts provided by the school district.
- 74% of students have a school-provided email account.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
- 276 districts (93.8%) allow students or staff to connect personal devices to their district network, although 61 of those districts limit this to staff access only.