Mathematics K–12 Learning Standards
Washington state formally adopted the Mathematics and English Language Arts K–12 Learning Standards, also referred to as “the standards." Assessments for these standards began in the 2014–15 school year.
These standards describe what students should know and be able to do at each grade level.
- Read the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, Common Core State Standards Initiative
- Explore the Common Core State Standards Website
Guidance for K–8 and High School in determining the major areas of focus.
- Focus by Grade Level (K–8) – Achieve the Core – a collection of PDFs detailing the mathematical content emphasized in the standards by grade level. These can be used as guides to inform instructional decisions regarding time and other resources.
- Catalyzing Change - National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) - a resource to identify mathematical content for focus in high school.
- Claim Distribution (3–8, HS, and EOC) – WA Assessment System – guidance on the clusters that should be a major focus, an additional/supporting focus, and how the math practices are applied across the content of the standards.
The standards were built on progressions: narrative documents describing the progression of learning across a number of grade levels and within a given grade.
Developed by OSPI for educators in all content areas to see the development of conceptual understanding within the strand.
- Number Sense
- Developed by Arizona University, these documents are informed both by research on children's cognitive development and by the logical structure of mathematics.
Standards for Mathematical Practice
The Standards for Mathematical Practice describe the mathematical “habits of mind” that mathematics educators at all levels should seek to develop in their students.
- Implementing the Mathematical Practice Standards – Educational Development Center
- Implementing the Mathematical Practice Standards/Videos – Inside Mathematics
- K–5 Elaborations of the Practice Standards – Illustrative Mathematics
- 6–8 Elaborations of the Practice Standards – Illustrative Mathematics