Applying for Safety Net Funding
- March 13, 2020 Deadline Extension Request (due to COVID-19): submit by March 11, 2020
- High-Need Individuals: March 13, 2020 by 5 pm
- Community Impact and updates to High-Need Individuals: May 8, 2020 by 5 pm
- Conditional Award Meeting: June 17-18, 2020, location TBD
- Final Verification Meeting: August 12, 2020, location TBD
Safety net funding is available to school districts with a demonstrated capacity for Special Education funding in excess of state and federal funding otherwise provided. The Safety Net Funding Bulletin discusses allocated funding, the application process, trainings, deadlines, committee members, and more!
Updates to Worksheet A
- Worksheet A reposted to fix the lookups to the 2019–20 budget resource data for revenues available to the district were updated. Some of fields in this section had incorrect cell references and were pulling data from the wrong place.
- Worksheet A reposted with 2018-19 F-196 (year-end) data.
- Worksheet C Instructions (posted 11/7/2019)
- Worksheet C (posted 11/7/2019)
- Complete the Transportation Cost Calculator (posted 2/20/2020)
- On the Start Here tab, the word served was replaced with enrolled in calendar grids.
- Adaptive PE (APE) teacher and Contracted Teacher added as position options under Other Contracted staff.
- Medicaid Implementation Verification: LEAs in process of setting up Medicaid billing should complete this form and submit with their Safety Net application.
- Medicaid Provider Eligibility Verification: Complete this form if the LEA is billing Medicaid but has providers who are not eligible to bill.
Safety Net Certification
- Certification-Must complete for both High-Need Individuals and Community Impact Safety Net funding.
- Individuals Summary-Must complete for High-Need Individuals only.
Applications are submitted via a Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) site. There are many versions of this type of software, but OSPI recomments the free version of CoreFTP. Work with your LEA's IT department to install this software. Contact Safety Net to set up an SFTP account if you do not already have one.
- Download the free version of CoreFTP.
- OSPI’s SFTP User Guide.
- SFTP File Structure and Naming Conventions
- 2019-20 Safety Net Training Presentation | Presentation Slides
- Completing the 1-on-1 Contracted Billing Worksheet
- Completing Worksheet C Example
- Completing Worksheet C for an Out of District Placement Example
- Computing Annualized Caseload
- Splitting Weeks Between Multiple Providers
Please note: Some of these examples include redacted IEP matrices that were provided by a local district. We are in no way endorsing how information is reported on the matrices, but merely using the example to show how we would report the information on Worksheet C.
Past Application Summaries
- 2018–19 Safety Net Application Summary (posted September 2019)
- 2017–18 Safety Net Application Summary (posted September 2018)
- 2016–17 Safety Net Application Summary (posted August 2017)
- 2015–16 Safety Net Application Summary (posted September 2016)
- 2014–15 Safety Net Application Summary (posted September 2015)
- 2013–14 Safety Net Application Summary (posted September 2014)
- 2012–13 Safety Net Application Summary (posted September 2013)