Health and Physical Education Resources
Health and Physical Education
Safe Routes to School programs enable community leaders, schools and parents across the United States to improve safety and encourage more children, including children with disabilities, to safely walk and bicycle to school.
America's Move to Raise a Healthier Generation of Kids -- Let's Move! is a comprehensive initiative, launched by the First Lady, dedicated to solving the challenge of childhood obesity within a generation, so that children born today will grow up healthier and able to pursue their dreams.
Resources to Support Quality Instruction
To ensure student achievement in health and physical education, it is critical that the curriculum, instruction, and assessment align. Students learn best when the instruction they receive and the assessments used align with state standards. The Health and Physical Education Standards provide the foundation for the definition of the curriculum by the school district. Instruction refers to the implementation of the defined curriculum. Assessment refers to multiple measures (formative and summative) of student proficiency of the defined curriculum. Below you will find training videos (instruction) aligned to sample lessons (curriculum) and summative assessments aligned to OSPI-Developed Assessments. You will also find tutorials which will navigate you through the OSPI-developed health and physical education assessments.
Health and Physical Education Connections to the Common Core State Standards
It is essential to maintain quality instruction in Health and Physical Education and provide intentional connections to the Common Core State Standards to provide a deeper, more meaningful learning experience for students.
- Grade 3 Health and Fitness Connections to CCSS
- Grade 5 Health and Fitness Connections to CCSS
- Grade 6 Health and Fitness Connections to CCSS
- Grade 8 Health and Fitness Connections to CCSS
- Grade 9-10 Health and Fitness Connections to CCSS
- Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE America)
- American Childhood Cancer Society
- American Heart Association
- American School Health Association (ASHA)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Hope Heart Institute
- The Mesothelioma Group: Understanding Cancer
- Society of Health and Physical Educators Washington (SHAPE WA)
- Washington Dairy Council
- Washington State Department of Health (DOH)
From the Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE America)
The National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE) offers an array of teaching tools and guidance documents to help you engage with your students, implement best practices, educate parents, and motivate children to engage in a lifetime of physical activity.