School Safety & Security Related RCWs & WACs
Washington State K-12 schools are regulated according to the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) which are laws passed by the Legislature; and, by the Washington Administrative Codes (WAC) which are rules put in place to enact applicable legislation. The following is a list of the main RCWs and WACs affecting areas of school safety & security.
School Safety Planning
- RCW 28A.320.125 - Safe district and school plans required
- RCW 28A.320.126 - Emergency response system
- RCW 36.28A.060 - School mapping
- WAC 51-54-0400 - Emergency Planning & Preparedness
Bullying - HIB
- RCW 28A.600.477- Prohibition of harassment, intimidation, and bullying
- RCW 9.61.260 - Cyberstalking
- RCW 9A.36.078 - Malicious harassment - Finding
- RCW 28A.600.480 - Reporting Harassment, Intimidation, Bullying Immunity
- WAC 495A-121-011 - Definitions
Emotional or Behavioral Distress-Suicide Plans
- RCW 28A.320.127 - Recognition of Emotional-Behavioral Distress
Firearms & Weapons on School Grounds
- RCW 28A.600.420 - Firearms on school grounds
- RCW 9.41.280 - Firearms and other dangerous weapons on school grounds
- RCW 9.91.160 - Possession of personal protective spray devices
- RCW 9.61.160 - Threats to bomb or injure property
Gang Activity in Schools
- RCW 28A.600.455 - Gang activity - Suspension or expulsion
- RCW 9A.46.120 - Criminal Gang Intimidation
- RCW 9.94A.030 - Definitions: criminal street gangs, gang membership, gang-related offenses.
- RCW 28A.225.225 - Applications from Non-Resident Students
- RCW 28A.320.490 - Task force on gangs in schools
Juvenile Sex Offenders in Schools
- RCW 9A.44.130 - Law enforcement notification of schools
- WAC 392-400-295 - Emergency expulsion - limitations
- RCW 28A.600.210 - Locker searches: drug activity, weapons
- RCW 28A.600.220 - Locker searches - No expectation of privacy
- RCW 28A.600.240 - Notice and reasonable suspicion
Suicide - Troubled Youth
- RCW 28A.320.127 Plan for screening and response to emotional or behavioral distress
- RCW 28A.320.1271 Model school district plan for recognition, initial screening and response to emotional or behavioral distress
- RCW 28A.320.128 Threats of violence; Notice and disclosure policies - Student conduct
- RCW 13.04.155 Notification to school principal of conviction, adjudication, or diversion
- RCW 9A.04.110 Definition of "Threat"
- RCW 9A.46 Harassment
- RCW 28A.225.330 Enrolling students from other districts
- RCW 13.40.215 Juveniles found to have committed violent or sex offense or
- RCW 9.41.280 Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities
Tobacco, Alcohol, Drugs
- RCW 28A.210.310 - Prohibition on use of tobacco
- RCVW 69.50.435 - Controlled substances
- RCW 69.50.445 - Open consumption of marijuana
Additional Information: Special Education, Disabilities, and Privacy Compliance
- Issues around school safety often impact students with disabilities.
- Special Education - RCW 28A.155: Special Education laws ensure that all children with disabilities have the opportunity for an appropriate education.
- ADA: The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) makes it possible for everyone with a disability to live a life of freedom and equality, and is the first comprehensive declaration of equality for people with disabilities.
- FERPA: The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records.
- HIPAA: The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) is to ensure that individuals' health information is properly protected while allowing the flow of health information needed to provide and promote high quality health care and to protect the public's health and well-being