Social and Emotional Learning (SEL)
Social Emotional Learning
Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) is broadly understood as a process through which individuals build awareness and skills in managing emotions, setting goals, establishing relationships, and making responsible decisions that support success in school and in life. When we think of educating the whole child, their social and emotional development must be considered as a part of overall instruction.
SEL Activities for Families & Educators
The SEL activities below are designed for parents/guardians and/or educators to do with their kids. These activities will help kids strengthen their skillset in social emotional learning (SEL). SEL provides skills to do things like cope with feelings, set goals, and get along with others. You can help your kids work on these skills at home and have some fun along the way. It’s important to discuss the SEL skill that will be addressed in the activity (e.g., kindness, empathy, self-exploration, decision-making) to make the activity more focused and targeted on that skill.
SEL Standards Adopted
As of 1-1-2020 SEL Standards have been adopted.
SEL Implementation Resources
- SEL Standards, Benchmarks & Indicators- This document is to provide a scaffolded framework identifying observable developmental standards/benchmarks/Indicators.
- SEL Standards, Benchmarks One-Pager
- SEL Online Training Module- This module is designed to be part of OSPI's professional learning constellation of topics and can be used by Education Service Districts and LEA's for administering clock hours.
- Implementation Guide- This Guide aligns with other SEL resources in Washington State such as the Washington SEL Standards/Benchmarks/Indicators, SEL Briefs, and the SEL Module, which are all part of Washington State’s SEL Resource Package.
- SEL Resource briefs for:
- Educational Leaders
- Parents and Families
- Youth Organization Workers
- Culturally Responsive SEL
- Equity Brief
SEL Advisory Committee Members and Meetings
Previous SEL Workgroups
SEL Legislative Reports
- 2017- ESSB 5883, Sec. 501 (31) (2017) - OSPI to convene a workgroup to build on the previous work of 2015 by completing standards/benchmarks/indicators.
- 2016- ESSB 6052 Sec 501  - OSPI to convene a workgroup to recommend comprehensive SEL benchmarks
2019 - 2SB 5082 - OSPI to promote and expand SEL Implementation
2020 - HB 2816 - Positive Social & Emotional School and Classroom Climates -- Model Policy and Procedure
2020 - SB 5395 - Sexual Health Education
SEL Research-Supporting Work
- WA Landscape Scan- Scan of social and emotional learning (SEL) activities across Washington state.
- National Scan- Scan of social and emotional learning (SEL) national activities
- WA Survey Results (2019)- WA state stakeholder social and emotional learning survey with families, students, educators, and community partners.
- Annotated bibliographies- Evidence basis for the development of social and emotional learning (SEL) indicators.
- Indicators Reference List- Reference list for the development of social and emotional learning (SEL) indicators.