Social and Emotional Learning (SEL)
Social Emotional Learning
Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) is broadly understood as a process through which individuals build awareness and skills in managing emotions, setting goals, establishing relationships, and making responsible decisions that support success in school and in life. When we think of educating the whole child, their social and emotional development must be considered as a part of overall instruction.
SEL & Equity
- SEL Standards, Benchmarks & Indicators- This document is to provide a scaffolded framework identifying observable developmental standards/benchmarks/Indicators.
- SEL Standards, Benchmarks One-Pager
- SEL Online Training Module- This module is designed to be part of OSPI's professional learning constellation of topics and can be used by Education Service Districts and LEA's for administering clock hours.
- SEL Implementation Guide- This Guide aligns with other SEL resources in Washington State such as the Washington SEL Standards/Benchmarks/Indicators, SEL Briefs, and the SEL Module, which are all part of Washington State’s SEL Resource Package.
- Washington SEL Capacity Building Training Series
- Trauma Informed Information and Resources
- SEL Learning Activities for Families and Educators
- COVID-19 Considerations for Reopening Schools
- SEL Educational Leaders Brief
- SEL Educator Brief
- SEL Parents and Families Brief
- SEL Community and Youth Organizations Brief
- Culturally Responsive SEL
- SEL Equity Brief
- WA Landscape Scan- Scan of social and emotional learning (SEL) activities across Washington state.
- National Scan- Scan of social and emotional learning (SEL) national activities
- WA Survey Results (2019)- WA state stakeholder social and emotional learning survey with families, students, educators, and community partners.
- Annotated bibliographies- Evidence basis for the development of social and emotional learning (SEL) indicators.
- Indicators Reference List- Reference list for the development of social and emotional learning (SEL) indicators.
We want to hear from you! Please fill out our Social and Emotional Learning public comment form. Comments will be shared with the SEL Advisory Committee once per month.
August 18, 2020 Committee Meeting
July 8, 2020 Committee Meeting
May 19, 2020 Committee Meeting
March 17, 2020 Committee Meeting
February 18, 2020 Committee Meeting
January 14, 2020 Committee Meeting
- 2019 - Social Emotional Learning in Washington's K-12 Public Schools-ESSB 5883, Sec. 501 (31) (2017)-OSPI to convene a workgroup to build on the previous work of 2015 by completing standards/benchmarks/indicators.
- 2016 - Addressing Social Emotional Learning in Washington's K-12 Public Schools- ESSB 6052 Sec 501 -OSPI to convene a workgroup to recommend comprehensive SEL benchmarks
- 2019 - Second Substitute Senate Bill 5082-2SB 5082-OSPI to promote and expand SEL Implementation
- 2020 - Engrossed Substitute House Bill 2816-HB 2816-Positive Social & Emotional School and Classroom Climates -- Model Policy and Procedure
- 2020 - Engrossed Substitute Senate Bill 5395-SB 5395-Sexual Health Education