CTE Approval Process
The legislature authorized the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) to establish standards for CTE through WAC 28C.04.100. These standards were created to ensure high quality career and technical programs across the state.
Every CTE course is approved by OSPI through the Course Application process in EDS. Course applications include course frameworks, extended learning opportunities, skills gap information and more. Frameworks are approved for new courses, and then all frameworks are kept up to date by the district.
CTE Course Applications
The purpose of the framework/course approval process is to make certain that all CTE courses:
- Ensure academic rigor;
- Align with the state's education reform requirements, including the Washington State Learning Standards;
- Help address the skills gap of Washington's economy;
- Maintain strong relationships with local CTE advisory councils for the design and delivery of career and technical education; and
- Align with current industry standards.
Course Approval-Open System
- To be offered 1st Semester: Due April 15
- To be offered 2nd Semester: Due October 15
Course signature page is only available after the course has been approved. After course has been approved, print, sign and file course signature page.
Courses must be in APPROVED status in Course Application system, and in APPROVED status in the Program Approval system to maintain compliance. Reminder, only APPROVED CTE courses can be claimed for enhanced funding.
Program Approval-Closed System
- Preview Window: December 1-31, 2019
- Submissions Window: January 1-31, 2020
Program Signature Page is only available after the Program has been approved. After program has been approved, print, sign and file program signature page!
Approval of specific program areas will be completed based on the schedule below. All CTE courses from districts with CTE programs must be approved through the Course and Program Approval process, or CTE courses in the program area lose approval status.
CTE Program Approval Schedule
Refer to the Advisory Committees brochure (updated October 2016)