Smarter Balanced Digital Library
What is the Digital Library?
The Digital Library contains classroom activities, lessons, and professional development resources to help enhance instruction and support learning by helping educators implement the formative assessment process in their classrooms. The Digital Library also contains Connections Playlists that provide instructional next steps based on interim assessment results.
The Digital Library resources:
- Are aligned to college- and career-ready expectations in the English Language Arts K–12 Learning Standards and the Mathematics K–12 Learning Standards
- Are contributed by educators for educators
- Support the implementation of formative assessment practices to improve teaching and learning
- Include ideas, activities, and lessons, such as interim assessment Connections Playlists, that can be infused into classroom instruction
- Provide educator professional development opportunities
Formative assessment is a deliberate process used by teachers and students during instruction to provide ongoing, actionable feedback to improve student success.
The four attributes are:
- Clarify Intended Learning
- Elicit Evidence
- Interpret Evidence
- Act on Evidence
Learn more from the Smarter Balanced Formative Assessment Process Overview.
The Digital Library provides resources that support educators' use of the formative assessment process. Resources are aligned to the ELA and math state standards and Smarter Balanced assessment claims and targets.
- Provide instructional next steps for educators
- are contributed by educators for educators
- are vetted by multiple reviewers based on quality criteria
- include professional learning modules on formative assessment processes and assessment literacy
Access to the Digital Library is free for every public school district and ESD employee. Statewide professional learning partners (e.g., OSSI-contracted coaches, higher education staff) can request access through the districts in which they work.
Directions for educators:
- Use the self-registration feature on either the Digital Library homepage or the Digital Library landing page.
- If self-registration does not work, contact your District Assessment Coordinator for access.
District Assessment Coordinators may email email@example.com for technical help.
The State Network of Educators (SNE) is a group of Washington educators with expertise in the standards, formative assessment process, and diverse student populations. The State Leadership Team (SLT) collaborates with the SNE to provide training and mentoring.
Educators in the SNE:
- Collaborate with educators from across the Smarter Balanced consortium
- Create and review Digital Library resources at in-person workshops
- Provide feedback to help guide enhancements
- Participate in online professional learning
- Support other educators using the Digital Library