Publications and Bulletins/Memos
- 2019-20 Student Transportation Directory
- Washington State Student Transportation RCWs and WACs (May 2018)
- Washington State School Bus Driver Handbook
- 2019 School Bus Specifications Manual
- 2019 School Bus and Traffic Safety Education Vehicle Inspection Manual (September 2019)
- Technical Assistance Paper No.2 "McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act"
Bulletins & Memos
- Allocation Operation B011-20, Attach 1 Allocation Spreadsheet
- School Bus Inspection Results, 2018–19 School Year - B082-19, Attach 1
- School Bus Safety Week, October 21–25, 2019 - B073-19, Attach 1
- School Bus Driver Compliance Report 2019–20 School Year - B069-19,
- School Bus Reimbursement and Categories for School Buses 2019–20 School Year - B068-19, Attach 1
- Required Student Transportation Operations 2019–20 School Year - B055-19
- State Accepted Quotes for School Bus Categories 2019–20 - B061-19, Attach 1
- Student Transportation Key Performance Indicators - B019-19
- School Transportation Relative Efficiency Ratings - B015-19, Attach 1
Reports & Studies
- School Walk and Bike Routes: A Guide for Planning and Improving Walk and Bike to School Options for Students
A publication developed by the Washington Traffic Safety Commission and the Washington State Department of Transportation, this guide is a valuable resource for those wishing to establish or monitor safe walking routes to and from school.
- The Relative Risks of School Travel
This 2002 study from the National Academy of Sciences is a very comprehensive comparison of the risks associated with the various modes of travel to and from school. There is an excellent executive summary.
- School Bus Safety: Crashworthiness Research
This 2002 study from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is the result of the US Congress requesting the US Department of Transportation to investigate the safety value of installing safety belts on school buses. Lots of technical information.
- Vans Used for School Transportation
A position paper from the National Association of State Directors of Pupil Transportation Services that discusses the NTSB study of the use of non-conforming vans in school transportation.
- Pupil Transportation System Security: Different Times – Added Responsibilities
A position paper from the National Association of State Directors of Student Transportation Services that discusses school transportation security in the post-9/11 world. An overview providing guidance on an action plan.