• Facebook
  • OSPI on Twitter
  • OSPI Medium
  • OSPI LinkedIn
  • OSPI YouTube
  • OSPI on Flickr
  • Subscribe to OSPI GovDelivery

You are here

Home » Policy & Funding » Grants & Grant Management » Closing Educational Achievement Gaps (Title I, Part A) » Staffing Requirements/Qualifications Paras & Teachers

Staffing Requirements/Qualifications Paras & Teachers

Contact Us
(360) 725-6340
Title I, Part A Requirements
Contact: Larry Fazzari
(360) 725-6189

Parent Notification

Teacher/Para Qualifications

Parents' Right to Know: Teacher and Paraprofessional Qualifications LEAs and schools inform the parents of Title I, Part A students that they may request, and the LEA and schools will provide, certain information on the professional qualifications of the student's classroom teachers and paraprofessionals providing services to the child. [ESSA Section 1112(e)(1)(A)]. Optional templates are available on the Teacher and Para Qualifications Template Translations page.

Timely Notice of Limited State Certification and Licensure

The federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act as amended by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) requires schools that receive Title I, Part A funds to notify parents or legal guardians when their child has been taught for four (4) consecutive weeks by a teacher who has not met "applicable State certification or licensure requirements at the grade level and subject area in which the teacher has been assigned." [ESSA Sec. 1112(e)(1)(b)(ii)]

In Washington, this notification requirement is for any teacher teaching under a limited substitute teaching certificate (WAC 181-79A-231), such as a Substitute certificate, Emergency Substitute certificate, or Intern Substitute Teacher certificate. Optional templates are available on the Limited State Certification and Licensure Templates page.

What qualifications must a staffer meet to be in a Title I, Part A Program?


Teachers assigned to Title I, Part A targeted assistance programs and all teachers assigned to a Title I, Part A schoolwide building must meet applicable state certification and licensure requirements. A teacher assigned to Title I, Part A may be out-of-field or out-of-endorsement as long as they hold an ELIGIBLE certificate type and the school board approved the placement (per WAC 181-82-110 or WAC 392-172A-02090). School board approval must be in place prior to the date the teacher was assigned to a Title I, Part A program.


Minimum Employment Requirements