Affirmative Action Plans and Policies
An affirmative action plan can support school districts' efforts in promoting educational excellence through equal employment opportunities and nondiscrimination within their schools.
Under WAC 392-190-0592, each school district and public charter school must develop an affirmative action employment plan or program that includes appropriate provisions designed to eliminate discrimination on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, honorably discharged veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability.
While school districts and public charter schools are still required to develop affirmative action employment programs, these programs no longer need to be filed with OSPI. However, school districts and public charter schools must maintain these programs and make them available to OSPI upon request.
Guidelines and Samples
- Affirmative Action Plan Guidelines
- Sample Checklist to Review AA Plans (Word)
- Sample Utilization Analysis and Goals for Affirmative Action Plans
- Sample Non-Discrimination Statement
Statutes and Regulations
- Federal Laws Prohibiting Job Discrimination (the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission)
- RCW 28A.640 Sexual Equality
- RCW 28A.642 Discrimination Prohibition
- WAC 392-190 Equal Educational Opportunity