Washington Smarter Lunchrooms
A Smarter Lunchroom nudges students to make healthier choices when provided with the full spectrum of choice. These “nudges” are research-based concepts identified by the Cornell BEN Center.
With support from Team Nutrition Grants, the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) has created Smarter Lunchrooms and Smarter Mealtimes in Washington schools and child care programs. Using feedback gathered from school professionals and child care providers, a Smarter Lunchrooms Toolkit and Smarter Mealtimes Toolkit were created.
Create a Smarter Lunchroom
The Washington Smarter Lunchrooms Toolkit is now available to download! Make the creation of your Smarter Lunchroom even easier with these helpful tips and tools. Download a copy of the toolkit and supplemental materials for free today!
Supplemental Toolkit Materials
- Fruit and Vegetable Naming Contest Form
- Fruit and Vegetable Naming Contest Form - Editable
- Fun Fruit and Vegetable Names
- Fun Fruit and Vegetable Name Cards – With Names
- Fun Fruit and Vegetable Name Cards – Blank
- Menu Item Name Cards Template - Editable
- Meet the Lunchroom Staff Poster-Editable
- Morning Announcement Menu Promotion Examples
- Reimbursable Meal Menu Poster-24” x 18”
- Reimbursable Meal Menu Poster-Editable
- Smarter Lunchrooms Promotional Magazine
- Smarter Lunchrooms Brochure
- Student Focus Group Waiver Form-Editable
- Smarter Lunchrooms Poster
- Taste Test Feedback Form
- Taste Test Feedback Form-Editable
- Washington Smarter Lunchrooms Toolkit: Smarter Schools Edition
Smarter Lunchrooms has been adapted for child care.
The Smarter Mealtimes toolkit, available in English and Spanish, will help your team create healthier mealtimes in child care and summer feeding programs.
You can download these free Smarter Mealtimes tools on the National Smarter Mealtimes website.
In collaboration with the Smarter Lunchrooms National Office, OSPI has created a 2-hour Smarter Mealtimes training.