National School Lunch Program
The National School Lunch Program (NSLP) is designed to promote the health and well-being of children by providing nutritious meals to children. Public school districts, private schools, residential child care institutions (RCCIs), and Charter Schools may participate in school meal programs.
Districts Administering the NSLP
- New Sponsors-Start here to become a sponsor!
- Program Applications and Requirements
- Communications and Updates from CNS
- Claims and Reimbursement Rates
- Menu Planning and Meal Patterns-Discover the components of the nutritious, well-balanced, and age-appropriate meals served.
- Free and Reduced-Price Information -All sponsors participating in the NSLP or School Breakfast Program (SBP) must make free and reduced-price meals available to students.
- Verification-Verification is the confirmation of current eligibility for free and reduced price meals under the NSLP and SBP.
- Reference Sheets-This guide provides information on program requirements and links to requirements and tools for compliance.
- Resources-Proven tools gathered to help with your program.
Elevate Your Program
- Training - Annual trainings and topics to expand your program knowledge.
- Smarter Lunchrooms - Explore how this program nudges students to make healthier choices when provided with the full spectrum of choice.
Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) & Provision 2
The Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) and Provision 2 provide an alternative approach for offering school meals at schools in low income areas.
The Community Eligibility Provision allows schools with high numbers of low-income families to serve free breakfast and lunch to all students without collecting school meal applications. CEP is available to public, private and tribal schools.
Provision 2 allows schools with high numbers of participating low-income families to serve meals at no cost to all students. This provision allows meals to be served for lunch and breakfast, or breakfast only.
For more information, please visit our CEP and Provision 2 web page.