Test Only - Must pass a WEST-E/NES test for the desired endorsement. The endorsements eligible to be added through testing only are as follows:
- Choral Music
- Computer Science
- Designated World Languages
- Earth & Space Science
- English Language Arts
- General Music
- Instrumental Music
- Middle Level Humanities
- Middle Level Mathematics
- Middle Level Science
- Social Studies
- Theatre Arts
- Visual Arts
ELL/ Bilingual Note: Educators who hold ELL or Bilingual may add the other endorsement via Test Only.
Middle Level Humanities Note: Educators that hold a Social Studies endorsement or have taken and passed the WEST-E Social Studies exam may use those in lieu of Middle Level Humanities subtest II. Educators who hold a NBPTS Certificate in ELA: early adolescence (11-15) and ELA: adolescence and young adulthood (14-18+) are exempt from the Middle Level Humanities subtest I. Educators who hold a NBPTS Certificate in Social studies and history: early adolescence (11-15) and Social studies and history: adolescence and young adulthood (14-18+) are exempt from the Middle Level Humanities subtest II.
Sciences Note: Educators must hold Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Space Science, or Physics before adding the General Science endorsement via Test Only.
View Testing Information
- Test Only - Complete required testing and submit APPLICATION online through your E-Certification account.
Consult with your college/university for advice on requirements. Methods, field experience/internship, and subject matter credit hour requirements* are as follows:
- Methods course(s). Certificated teachers are required to complete related methods coursework in the desired endorsement area.
- Field experience/internship. For at least one endorsement area, certificated teachers are required to complete a supervised practicum which includes teaching in the specific endorsement area. For additional endorsement areas, the college will determine whether to require a field experience/internship, and the extent of that internship
- Complete appropriate content area testing. The WEST-E/NES
View available in-state programs.
The endorsements eligible to be added through program + testing are as follows:
- Bilingual Education
- Business & Marketing
- Early Childhood Education
- Early Childhood Special Education
- Elementary Education
- English Language Learner
- Family Consumer Sciences
- Library Media
- Special Education
- Technology Education
- Traffic Safety
**Individuals who hold ELL or Bilingual may add the other endorsement via testing only.
View Testing Information
- In-state program: Follow instructions of your college/university. The college/university will submit verification of program completion to OSPI for you
- Out-of-state program: Complete program, testing, form 1522E, and submit APPLICATION through your E-Certification account
Your out-of-state institution must complete the Institutional Verification of Endorsement Program Completion and Character form (1522E). You must include the completed form when you apply for the additional endorsement.
Note: To add Library Media via Test Only, the test must be successfully competed no later than 10/31/2018 and application submitted no later than 12/31/2018.
Note: To add Health/Fitness via Test Only, the test must be successfully completed no later than 5/19/2019 and application submitted no later than 7/31/2019.
The subject area or grade level indicated on the National Board certificate must be comparable to one of the Washington endorsement areas. (See National Boards Exemption)
Process: Submit APPLICATION through your E-Certification account.
Certain endorsements may be added by means of migration to align previously-issued endorsements with current standards. (See migration chart.)