Adding an Endorsement
Scholarships are available for adding endorsements in shortage areas.
For more information, see retooling.
This information does NOT apply to CTE certificates or specialty area endorsements.
Test Only - Must pass a WEST-E/NES test for the desired endorsement. The endorsements eligible to be added through testing only are as follows:
- Choral Music
- Computer Science
- Designated World Languages
- Earth & Space Science
- English Language Arts
- General Music
- Instrumental Music
- Middle Level Humanities
- Middle Level Mathematics
- Middle Level Science
- Social Studies
- Theatre Arts
- Visual Arts
ELL/ Bilingual Note: Educators who hold ELL or Bilingual may add the other endorsement via Test Only.
Middle Level Humanities Note: Educators that hold a Social Studies endorsement or have taken and passed the WEST-E Social Studies exam may use those in lieu of Middle Level Humanities subtest II. Educators who hold a NBPTS Certificate in ELA: early adolescence (11-15) and ELA: adolescence and young adulthood (14-18+) are exempt from the Middle Level Humanities subtest I. Educators who hold a NBPTS Certificate in Social studies and history: early adolescence (11-15) and Social studies and history: adolescence and young adulthood (14-18+) are exempt from the Middle Level Humanities subtest II.
Sciences Note: Educators must hold Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Space Science, or Physics before adding the General Science endorsement via Test Only.
- Test Only - Complete required testing and submit APPLICATION online through your E-Certification account.
Consult with your college/university for advice on requirements. Methods, field experience/internship, and subject matter credit hour requirements* are as follows:
- Methods course(s). Certificated teachers are required to complete related methods coursework in the desired endorsement area.
- Field experience/internship. For at least one endorsement area, certificated teachers are required to complete a supervised practicum which includes teaching in the specific endorsement area. For additional endorsement areas, the college will determine whether to require a field experience/internship, and the extent of that internship
- Complete appropriate content area testing. The WEST-E/NES
The endorsements eligible to be added through program + testing are as follows:
- Bilingual Education
- Business & Marketing
- Early Childhood Education
- Early Childhood Special Education
- Elementary Education
- English Language Learner
- Family Consumer Sciences
- Library Media
- Special Education
- Technology Education
- Traffic Safety
**Individuals who hold ELL or Bilingual may add the other endorsement via testing only.
- In-state program: Follow instructions of your college/university. The college/university will submit verification of program completion to OSPI for you
- Out-of-state program: Complete program, testing, form 1522E, and submit APPLICATION through your E-Certification account
Your out-of-state institution must complete the Institutional Verification of Endorsement Program Completion and Character form (1522E). You must include the completed form when you apply for the additional endorsement.
Note: To add Library Media via Test Only, the test must be successfully competed no later than 10/31/2018 and application submitted no later than 12/31/2018.
Note: To add Health/Fitness via Test Only, the test must be successfully completed no later than 5/19/2019 and application submitted no later than 7/31/2019.
The subject area or grade level indicated on the National Board certificate must be comparable to one of the Washington endorsement areas. (See National Boards Exemption)
Process: Submit APPLICATION through your E-Certification account.
Certain endorsements may be added by means of migration to align previously-issued endorsements with current standards. (See migration chart.)