School Social Worker First Time
Requirements for the Initial Certificate
This application is for people seeking their first tier certification for the school social worker role.
- Master's degree in social work. Must submit official transcripts showing degree
- Completion of a ESA course approved by the Professional Educational Standards Board (PESB).
- Completion of any state's approved program leading to certification for the school social worker role Form 4099E
- Three years of out of state experience in the school social worker role 4020F-1
- Submission of fingerprints for a background check is required, if a valid certificate is not already on record
COURSE NOTE: For the PESB approved course, the applicant must have completed prior to, or within one year after application, a 15 clock hour or 1 semester hour course approved by the PESB which will include a number of topics related to the Educational Staff Associate (ESA) roles.
PERMIT NOTE: Provided, that an individual who meets all other requirements (fingerprinting, degree, license if required), but who has not yet provided verification of ESA course or out-of-state program completion, or appropriate out-of-state experience, shall be issued a temporary permit valid for one year, allowing the individual to practice in the role. The candidate shall provide verification of one of the three requirements (course, program or experience) to OSPI during the one-year period.
If you have all necessary documentation to apply for this certificate, login to: E-Certification