School Behavior Analyst
Requirements for the Initial Certificate
This application is for people seeking their first tier certification for the school behavior analyst role.
- Master's degree or higher. Must submit official transcripts showing degree conferral
- Hold a valid Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) certificate from the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB). Must submit a copy of valid BCBA certificate.
- Passing score on the Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) exam from the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB)
- Complete a PESB-approved ESA course (Professional Transitions to Public Schools), per WAC 181-79A-224
- Submission of fingerprints for a background check is required, if a valid certificate is not already on record
EXAM NOTE: Applicants may submit a copy of their BCBA certificate as verification of exam completion.
COURSE NOTE: For the PESB approved course, the applicant must have completed prior to, or within one year after application, a 15 clock hour or 1 semester hour course course approved by the Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB) which will include a number of topics related to the Educational Staff Associate (ESA) roles.
PERMIT NOTE: Provided, that an individual who meets all other requirements (fingerprinting, degree, license if required), but who has not yet provided verification of ESA course completion, shall be issued a temporary permit valid for one year, allowing the individual to practice in the role. The candidate shall provide verification of course completion to OSPI during the one-year period.
Requirements for the Continuing Certificate
This application is for people seeking the second tier certification for the school behavior analyst role.
- Must meet all requirements for initial ESA certification for the role
- Must have completed 150 continuing education credit hours related to the role of school behavior analyst or education since the first issuance of the initial certificate
- Must hold a valid Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) certificate from the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB)
- Must have completed two years full-time equivalency (FTE) in the role in Washington with a school district, state-approved private school, or state agency that provides educational services for students
- Must attest to completion of an issues of abuse course for more information see WAC 181-79A-030(9). This course MUST be entered into the 'PD Hours' section of your E-Certification account prior to applying
ISSUES OF ABUSE COURSE NOTE: The issues of abuse course or course work must include information related to identification of physical, emotional, sexual, and substance abuse; the impact on learning and behavior; the responsibilities of an educational staff associate to report abuse or to provide assistance to victimized children; and methods of teaching about abuse and its prevention.
If you have all necessary documentation to apply for this certificate, login to: E-Certification