Core Content Connections
As a support for the K-12 Integrated Environmental and Sustainability Learning Standards, OSPI has twice convened K-12 educators to identify Environmental and Sustainability Education Core Content Connection Examples. Please note that this document is a work in progress and will be updated periodically. We welcome your feedback and suggestions to help improve the resource.
Native American Stories in Science and Sustainability Education
With a grant from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Washington State LASER and OSPI upgraded three sets of commonly used elementary science materials to integrate Environmental and Sustainability Learning Standards. Additionally, the upgraded lessons are now also enhanced by ties to Native American stories from across Washington. Recordings of the stories, as told by Roger Fernandes, are available for all educators to use.
Sustainable Design and Technology
For information on the course framework contact the OSPI CTE division. Course Outline - This is a course offered by the Career and Technology Education Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics career cluster. The purpose of this exploratory course is to expose students to career opportunities in the new green economy.
The Green Sustainable Design and Technology course content includes:
- Principles of Sustainability
- Impact of Human Activities on Sustainability
- Sustainable Transportation Technology and Systems
- Sustainable Power Generation Technology and Systems
- Sustainable Resource, Materials, and Waste Management
- Sustainable Agricultural Systems
- Sustainable Ecosystem Management
- Sustainable Design and Construction
- Sustainable Manufacturing Practices
- Healthy Homes and Communities
- Sustainability in the Work Place
- Students' Role in Building Sustainable Communities
To offer the Green Sustainable Design and Technology course, districts must obtain approval from the CTE division.