Elections of Educational Service District (ESD) Boards of Directors
Administrative Resource Services
During the fall of each odd-numbered year, OSPI conducts elections to fill expiring Educational Service Districts (ESD) Board of Director positions for the nine ESDs throughout Washington.
ESD board members are elected by each current member of a public school board of directors (school board members) within the educational service district.
In October 2021, OSPI conducted elections for members of the Washington State Board of Education (SBE) and for members of Educational Service District (ESD) Boards of Directors. For those elected, terms will begin on January 10, 2022 (unless filling an unexpired term).
To be eligible to serve on an ESD board of directors, a candidate must be a registered voter and live in the ESD and director district for which the candidate files. Please contact your ESD for current director district boundaries. ESD board members are elected to a four-year term. Some positions are being filled as unexpired terms and will have different term length and start date.
To run for an ESD director position, candidates must file a Declaration of Candidacy form September 1–16. Forms are available online or by request. Forms must be postmarked on or before September 16 and mailed to: OSPI, attn: ESD Elections, PO Box 47200, Olympia, WA 98504. Please note, Declaration of Candidacy forms cannot be filed electronically or via email.
ESD candidates may submit a candidate statement (300 words or less) and one photo (head-shot style) to be included in the Voter Guide, which will be mailed to electors, along with the ballot. Statements will be printed as submitted and will not be corrected for spelling or grammar; please proofread before submitting. Candidate statements and photos are due by September 20, and can be emailed to: Kristin Murphy.
Electors (voters) & Ballots
ESD board members are elected by each current member of a public school board of directors (school board members) within the educational service district. Ballots will be mailed on or before October 1. Voting will be by mail. Ballots must be postmarked on or before October 16.
Educational Service Districts Elections Timeline
- August 25: Call for Election (declaration candidacy form available).
- September 1–16: Candidate Filing Period. Declaration of Candidacy forms can be filed September 1–16. Form must be postmarked on or before September 16 and mailed to OSPI. Declaration of Candidacy forms cannot be filed electronically or via email.
- September 20: Candidate Statement and Photo Due. May submit a candidate statement and a photo. Statements and photos are due no later than September 20 at 5:00 pm. Statement (up to 300 words) and photo may be submitted via email.
- September 23: Withdrawal of Candidacy deadline by 5:00 pm. Candidates wanting to withdraw their candidacy must do so in writing by 5:00 pm on September 23. Written withdrawals must be received by OSPI by this date.
- October 1: Ballots mailed to electors. Voting will be by mail and ballots must be postmarked on or before October 16.
- October 16: Voted ballots must be postmarked on or before October 16. Voted ballots may be postal mailed to OSPI. If hand-delivered, must be to OSPI by 5:00 pm.
- October 20-25: Ballots will be counted at OSPI.
- November: Run-Off Election (if needed).
- Second Monday in January: Term begins (unless filling an unexpired term).
*Some dates may be adjusted due to weekends/holidays.