Elections of Educational Service District (ESD) Boards of Directors
Administrative Resource Services
During the fall of each odd-numbered year, OSPI conducts elections to fill expiring ESD Board of Director positions for the nine Educational Service Districts throughout Washington.
ESD board members are elected by each current member of a public school board of directors (school board members) within the educational service district.
To be eligible to serve on an ESD board of directors, a candidate must be a registered voter and live in the ESD and director district for which the candidate files. Please contact your ESD for current director district boundaries. ESD board members are elected to a four-year term. Some positions are being filled as unexpired terms and will have different term length and start date.
Declaration of Candidacy
To run for an ESD director position, candidates must file a Declaration of Candidacy form September 1–16. Forms are available online or by request. Forms may be mailed or delivered in-person. If mailed, forms must be postmarked on or before September 16. If delivered in-person, forms must be at the OSPI office by 5:00 pm on September 16. Please note, Declaration of Candidacy forms cannot be filed electronically or via email.
ESD candidates may submit a candidate statement (300 words or less) and one photo (head-shot style) to be included in the Voter Guide, which will be mailed to electors, along with the ballot. Statements will be printed as submitted and will not be corrected for spelling or grammar; please proofread before submitting. Candidate statements and photos are due by September 18, and can be emailed to: Kristin.Murphy@k12.wa.us.
Voting - Electors (voters) and Ballots
ESD board members are elected by each current member of a public school board of directors (school board members) within the educational service district. Ballots will be mailed on or before October 1. Voting will be by mail. Ballots must be postmarked on or before October 16.
Elections Timeline – Educational Service Districts (ESDs)
- August 25: Call for Election (declaration candidacy form available).
- September 1–16: Candidate Filing Period. Declaration of Candidacy forms can be filed September 1–16. If mailing, must be postmarked on or before September 16. Forms delivered in person must be received at OSPI by September 16 at 5:00 pm. Declaration of Candidacy forms cannot be filed electronically or via email.
- September 18: Candidate Statement and Photo Due. May submit a candidate statement and a photo. Statements and photos are due no later than September 18 at 5:00 pm. Statement (up to 300 words) and photo may be submitted via email.
- September 23: Withdrawal of Candidacy deadline by 5:00 pm. Candidates wanting to withdraw their candidacy must do so in writing by 5:00 pm on September 23. Written withdrawals must be received by OSPI by this date.
- October 1: Ballots mailed to electors. Voting will be by mail and ballots must be postmarked on or before October 16.
- October 16: Voted ballots must be postmarked on or before October 16. Voted ballots may be postal mailed to OSPI. If hand-delivered, must be to OSPI by 5:00 pm.
- October 20-25: Ballots will be counted at OSPI.
- November: Run-Off Election (if needed).
- Second Monday in January: Term begins (unless filling an unexpired term).
*Some dates may be adjusted due to weekends/holidays.
Information about the ESD elections, including the Declaration of Candidacy form, can be found at: k12.wa.us/about-ospi/about-school-districts/elections-educational-service-district-board-directors
If you have questions, please contact Kristin Murphy, Legal Services, at 360-725-6133 or by email, Kristin.Murphy@k12.wa.us.