Elections of Educational Service District Board of Directors
Administrative Resource Services
During the fall of each odd-numbered year, OSPI conducts elections to fill expiring ESD Board of Director positions for the nine Educational Service Districts throughout Washington.
ESD board members are elected by each current member of a public school board of directors (school board members) within the educational service district.
To be eligible to serve on an ESD board of directors, a candidate must be a registered voter and live in the ESD and director district for which the candidate files. Please contact your ESD for current director district boundaries. ESD board members are elected to a four-year term. Some positions are being filled as unexpired terms and will have different term length and start date.
Declaration of Candidacy | 2019 Filing Form Coming Soon
To run for ESD director position, candidates must file a Declaration of Candidacy between September 1 - 16. Forms may be mailed and delivered in-person. If mailed, forms must be postmarked by September 16. If delivered in-person, must be at OSPI by September 16 by 5:00 p.m. (or the business day closest to September 16). Please note, Declaration of Candidacy forms cannot be filed electronically or via email. See Election Timeline below for more information.
ESD candidates are welcome to submit a candidate statement (300 words or less) and one photo (head-shot style) to be included in the Voter Guide which will be mailed out along with the ballot to each elector. See Election Timeline below for more information.
Voting: Ballots will be mailed to public school district directors in October. Voting will be by mail. Ballots will be returned to Administrative Resource Services, OSPI, PO Box 47200, Olympia, WA 98504-7200. See Election Timeline below for more information.
Sample Election Timeline
- August 25: Call of Election(Election notice, declaration candidacy form available, election timeline).
- September 1 through 16: Candidate Filing Period. Declaration of Candidacy form scan be filed September 1 to September 16. If mailing, must be postmarked on or before September 16. Forms delivered in person must be RECEIVED at OSPI by September 16 at 5:00 p.m. (or the closest business day). Please note, Declaration of Candidacy forms cannot be filed electronically or via email. Candidates may also submit an optional candidate statement and a photo. Statements and photos are due no later than September 18 at 5:00 p.m. Statements (up to 300 words) and photos may be submitted via email.
- September 21: Withdrawal of Candidacy deadline by 5:00 p.m. Candidates wishing to withdraw their candidacy must do so in writing by 5:00 p.m. on September 21. Written withdrawals must be received by OSPI - Administrative Resources by this date.
- October 1: Ballots mailed to electors. Voting will be by mail and ballots must be post-marked on or before October 16.
- October 16: Voted ballots must be postmarked on or before October 16 . Voted ballots may be postal mailed to OSPI. If hand-delivered, must be to OSPI by 5:00 p.m. on October 16 (or, business day prior to October 16).
- October 21-25: Ballots will be counted at OSPI
- October 27: Report and Certification of Election
- November: Run-Off Election
- January: Term Begins (unless filling unexpired term
If you have questions regarding the process, you may contact Kristin Murphy with Administrative Resource Services at 360-725-6133 or by email, Kristin.Murphy@k12.wa.us.