The Heart of Learning: Compassion, Resiliency, and Academic Success
Published September 2009
About this handbook
The Heart of Learning: Compassion, Resiliency, and Academic Success is a handbook for teachers written and compiled by OSPI and Western Washington University staff. It contains valuable information that will be helpful to you on a daily basis as you work with students whose learning has been adversely impacted by trauma in their lives.
View/print entire handbook (PDF, 244 pages, 12 MB); Text Only Version (PDF, 8 MB)
Hear the team behind this resource explain why it was needed and how teachers can use it in their classrooms.
Table of Contents
- Foreword by Superintendent Randy Dorn
- Chapter 1: Trauma, Compassion, and Resiliency: Background and Definitions
- Chapter 2: Self-Care: An Ethical Obligation for Those Who Care
- Chapter 3: Instructional Principles, Curricular Domains and Specific Strategies for Compassionate Classrooms
- Chapter 4: Building Compassionate School-Community Partnerships That Work
- Chapter 5: Examples of Compassion, Resiliency, and Academic Success Direct From the Field
- Chapter 6: Resources
- About the Authors
The Trainers Contact List (PDF) identifies the school staff and community partners who
attended the two day Train the Trainer events sponsored by OSPI for
The Heart of Learning and Teaching: Compassion, Resiliency, and Academic Success curriculum.
Learning and Teaching