The Food and Nutrition Service, an agency of the United States Department of
Agriculture (USDA), administers the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) at the
federal level, while the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI)
administers the program at the state level. Locally, it is operated by sponsors
who apply for and are approved to operate the program.
In 2006, USDA modified the federal regulations to reduce some of the
administrative burden associated with operating the program. Due to the
reduction in cost accounting procedures, Washington State refers to the Summer
Food Service Program as the Simplified Summer Food Service Program (SSFP).
Sponsors eligible to participate in the programs are:
- Public or private nonprofit schools.
- Education Service Districts.
- Units of local, municipal, county, or state government.
- Public or private nonprofit residential summer camps.
- Public or private nonprofit colleges and universities sponsoring the
Upward Bound Program.
- Private, nonprofit organizations.
- Tribal Organizations
Tools and Resources for a Successful Simplified Summer Food Program
Summer Food and Special Projects Supervisor
Free Summer Food Contact Number:
TTY number (360) 664-3631