Convert to a Residency Teaching Certificate
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image

For questions:
   (360) 725-6400
   (9:00 am-12:00 pm,
   1:00 pm-4:30 pm)

Open to the public
8:00 am-5:00 pm

Office closed daily from
12:00 pm-1:00 pm

ESD Offices

Helpful Tips

Teachers Administrators ESA CTE

Teacher Certification

Initial/Initial Renewal

These options are available if you hold or have held an Initial Certificate:

If your Initial Certificate has expired, here are your options: Residency Certificate, Substitute Certificate, Renewal, Continuing


Convert to a Residency Teaching Certificate


  • Must have qualified for an initial teaching certificate, a provisional teaching certificate, or a residency teacher certificate.
  • Must not have held a continuing or professional teacher certificate
  • The certificate held may be valid or expired

For details on the documents needed and process to obtain this certificate, please see the application.


top of page


Includes details on the documents needed and process to obtain certification.

Electronic Certification Application
benefits of applying online


Download Certification Forms



Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA  98504-7200  (360) 725-6000  TTY (360) 664-3631
Contact Us    |    A-Z Index    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Education Data System (EDS)