Renew an Initial Teaching Certificate
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image

For questions:
   (360) 725-6400
   (9:00 am-12:00 pm,
   1:00 pm-4:30 pm)

Open to the public
8:00 am-5:00 pm

Office closed daily from
12:00 pm-1:00 pm

ESD Fingerprinting locations

Helpful Tips

Teachers Administrators ESA CTE

Teacher Certification

Initial/Initial Renewal

These options are available if you hold or have held an Initial Certificate:

If your Initial Certificate has expired, here are your options: Residency Certificate, Substitute Certificate, Renewal, Continuing


Renew an Initial Teaching Certificate


  • Teachers must hold a valid initial teaching certificate, OR if your initial certificate has expired as of 9/1/2000 or later and you met requirements for renewal before expiration, you can apply late (with a $100 late fee). If you did not meet requirements before expiration, or your initial expired before 9/1/00, see Conversion to Residency Certificate
  • Teachers may renew the initial certificate (only once) after 9/1/00
  • Must have completed all course work requirements for the continuing certificate
  • Must have completed 15 quarter hours (10 semester hours) of study since the issuance of the MOST RECENT initial certificate

For details on the documents needed and process to obtain this certificate, please see the application.


top of page


Includes details on the documents needed and process to obtain certification.

Electronic Certification Application


Download Certification Forms



Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA  98504-7200  (360) 725-6000  TTY (360) 664-3631
Contact Us    |    A-Z Index    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Education Data System (EDS)