Continuing Teaching Certificate
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image

For questions:
   (360) 725-6400
   (9:00 am-12:00 pm,
   1:00 pm-4:30 pm)

Open to the public
8:00 am-5:00 pm

Office closed daily from
12:00 pm-1:00 pm

ESD Fingerprinting locations

Helpful Tips

Teachers Administrators ESA CTE

Teacher Certification

Initial/Initial Renewal

These options are available if you hold or have held an Initial Certificate:

If your Initial Certificate has expired, here are your options: Residency Certificate, Substitute Certificate, Renewal, Continuing


Apply for a Continuing Teaching Certificate (valid for five year periods)


After 9/1/00 teachers must hold a valid initial teaching certificate to apply for the continuing certificate.  If your Initial certificate has expired (but you met requirements for the Continuing before expiration) you can apply late (with a $100 late fee). If you did not meet requirements before expiration, see Conversion to Residency Certificate.

  • Must have a master's degree from an accredited college/university OR 45 quarter hours (30 semester hours) of upper division or graduate-level postbaccalaureate study (coursework at the 100 level is allowed when used to obtain an endorsement).
  • 180 days of teaching experience, 30 days of which must be in one school district.  Substitute teaching, out-of-state teaching, and teaching in more than one district is acceptable.
  • Issues of Abuse. The candidate must have taken coursework in issues of abuse, which must include information related to identification of physical, emotional, sexual, and substance abuse; the impact on learning and behavior; the responsibilities of a teacher to report abuse or to provide assistance to victimized children; and methods of teaching about abuse and its prevention.

For details on the documents needed and process to obtain this certificate, please see the application.


top of page


Includes details on the documents needed and process to obtain certification.

Electronic Certification Application


Download Certification Forms






Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA  98504-7200  (360) 725-6000  TTY (360) 664-3631
Contact Us    |    A-Z Index    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Education Data System (EDS)