LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image

For questions:
   9:00am-4:30pm - M-W-Th-F
   10:00am-4:30pm - Tuesday
   Contact Us

ESD Fingerprinting locations

Refund Policy

Teachers Administrators ESA CTE


In Washington, educators must obtain a Washington certificate in order to serve in the public schools. Certificates or licenses from another state or jurisdiction do not cover employment in Washington. While the interstate agreement facilitates the movement of educators among states and other jurisdictions that are members of the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC), our state rarely uses the provision of the contract for individuals who hold certification in another state. Washington’s rules allow us to recognize ANY state approved educator preparation program and degree from an accredited institution to meet our basic requirements. This in essence, allows educators who have completed a college/university preparation program in another state, reciprocity for our state to recognize and accept that program toward our certification requirements.

Details regarding the NASDTEC agreement are available online here:


   Updated 5/25/2016

Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA    98504-7200    360-725-6000  TTY 360-664-3631
Contact Us    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only