Student Teaching in Washington
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image

For questions:
   9:00am-4:30pm - M-W-Th-F
   10:00am-4:30pm - Tuesday
   Contact Us

Open to the public
8:00 am-5:00 pm

ESD Fingerprinting locations

Refund Policy

Helpful Tips

Teachers Administrators ESA CTE

Teacher Certification

What types of Certificates are available? (basic requirements)


Student Teaching in Washington


Beginning September 1, 2010, programs approved in other states operating field experiences in Washington State shall establish and maintain field placement agreements with all Washington school districts in which candidates are placed for field experiences leading to certification or endorsement.

Individuals who will be placed in a student teaching experience/internship will need to obtain a pre-residency clearance prior to placement. Candidates must show:

  • Enrollment in a state-approved college/university teacher education program through a regionally accredited college/university which is outside the State of Washington.
  • Evidence of good moral character and personal fitness.
  • Must indicate program enrollment.
  • Instate college or university student teaching candidates must work with their teacher preparation institution regarding their field experience.

Please Note: Individuals attending a Washington college/university do not need to apply to our office. The Washington college/university handles pre-residency clearance as part of your program and application materials to their office.



Includes details on the documents needed and process to obtain certification.

Electronic Certification Application





Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA  98504-7200  360-725-6000  TTY 360-664-3631
Contact Us    |    A-Z Index    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Education Data System (EDS)