Teacher Certification - Substitute
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image

For questions:
   (360) 725-6400
   (9:00 am-12:00 pm,
   1:00 pm-4:30 pm)

Open to the public
8:00 am-5:00 pm

Office closed daily from
12:00 pm-1:00 pm

ESD Offices

Helpful Tips

Teachers Administrators ESA CTE

Teacher Certification


To use the following pages and determine which options are available, you will need to know what type of certificate you hold and the date of expiration. If you have your original certificate, you can locate the certificate type and expiration date under your name on the document. If you do not have your certificate, we can provide you the certificate information if you email us a request and provide us your complete name (including former names) and date of birth.

Select from the following list the certificate CURRENTLY HELD or MOST RECENTLY HELD:


Substitute Teaching Certificate


The Substitute Certificate enables someone to substitute for any regular classroom teacher for up to 30 consecutive school days. The Substitute Certificate requires the same level of preparation as a regular teaching certificate. (IF YOU GRADUATED FROM A WASHINGTON COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY PREPARATION PROGRAM, CONTACT YOUR INSTITUTION FOR ASSISTANCE.)

The candidate must have:


Includes details on the documents needed and process to obtain certification.

Electronic Certification Application




Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA  98504-7200  (360) 725-6000  TTY (360) 664-3631
Contact Us    |    A-Z Index    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Education Data System (EDS)