Teacher Certification - Substitute
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image

< Teacher Certificate Main Page

Substitute Teaching

The Substitute Certificate requires the same level of preparation as a regular Teaching Certificate.

If you recently graduated from a state of Washington college/university preparation program and have not been issued a certificate please contact your institution for assistance.


  • Completion of a bachelor's degree or higher. Must submit official transcripts showing degree
  • Completion of any state's approved teacher preparation program through an accredited institution, or an approved alternate route program, or three years of full-time, out of state teaching experience and hold a REGULAR out of state teaching certificate. Complete the form which applies and submit at the time of application. Form 4020E, 4020E-1, 4020F-1
  • Submission of fingerprints for a background check is required, if a valid certificate is not already on record

NOTE: Foreign Trained/Out of Country for additional requirement information.

If you hold or have held a regular state of Washington Teaching Certificate then you qualify for the Substitute Certificate.

Washington state-approved teacher preparation programs.


If you have all necessary documentation to apply for this certificate, login to: E-Certification

*IMPORTANT: Please note that application fees are NOT refundable. Ensure that you select and submit the correct application. If you have questions regarding your application, please contact our office.

click to apply for certification

Need Assistance Icon

   Updated 4/25/2018

Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA    98504-7200    360-725-6000  TTY 360-664-3631
Contact Us    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Privacy Policy