Continuing Teaching Certificate
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image

For questions:
   9:00am-4:30pm - M-W-Th-F
   10:00am-4:30pm - Tuesday
   Contact Us

ESD Fingerprinting locations

Refund Policy

Teachers Administrators ESA CTE

Teacher Certification

Apply for a Continuing Teaching Certificate (valid for five year periods)



After 9/1/00 teachers must hold a valid initial teaching certificate to apply for the continuing certificate.  If your Initial certificate has expired (but you met requirements for the Continuing before expiration) you can apply (with a $100 late fee). If you did not meet requirements before expiration, see Conversion to Residency Certificate.

  • Must have a master's degree from an accredited college/university OR 45 quarter hours (30 semester hours) of upper division or graduate-level postbaccalaureate study (coursework at the 100 level is allowed when used to obtain an endorsement).
  • 180 days of teaching experience, 30 days of which must be in one school district.  Substitute teaching, out-of-state teaching, and teaching in more than one district is acceptable.
  • Issues of Abuse. The candidate must have taken coursework in issues of abuse, which must include information related to identification of physical, emotional, sexual, and substance abuse; the impact on learning and behavior; the responsibilities of a teacher to report abuse or to provide assistance to victimized children; and methods of teaching about abuse and its prevention.



Please note: The form 4020F must be submitted with your application or mailed with your official transcripts.

   Electronic Certification Application






   Updated 1/26/2017

Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA    98504-7200    360-725-6000  TTY 360-664-3631
Contact Us    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only