Certification - Helpful Links
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image

For questions:
   9:00am-4:30pm - M-W-Th-F
   10:00am-4:30pm - Tuesday
   Contact Us

ESD Fingerprinting locations

Refund Policy

Teachers Administrators ESA CTE

Helpful Tips to Obtaining Certification in Washington

For educator certification, WA requires the completion of the appropriate degree from a regionally accredited college/university and the completion of an approved program in the state where the preparation was completed.

Obtain the fingerprint card from an ESD office or contacting Professional Certification. Fingerprinting is required for the state of Washington even if you have been fingerprinted in another state. You may contact an ESD office to make an appointment to be fingerprinted or you may have them taken at any law enforcement agency which does finger- printing and mail them to the Washington State Patrol according to the directions on the finger- print card.

Testing is required for teacher certification in Washington. A basic skills test (reading, mathematics and writing), the WEST B, is required. If you have taken the CBEST or Praxis I and meet our score requirements, you may use those scores in lieu of taking the WEST B. (For more information on taking the WEST B, go to http://www.west.nesinc.com)

Passing the WEST E, a content knowledge test, is also required for each endorsement you wish to have on your certificate.
For more information about content knowledge testing and for test registration go to: http://www.west.nesinc.com

Highly Qualified
All teachers teaching core academic subjects are required to meet highly qualified teacher requirements prior to being hired. Certification in an endorsement area does NOT guarantee that you will be considered highly qualified. For further information regarding the highly qualified teacher requirement, please access the following link: http://www.k12.wa.us/TitleIIA/HighlyQualifiedTeachers.aspx

Upon receipt of appropriate materials and fee(s) and upon determination of eligibility, the ESD can issue the applicant a temporary 180-day permit, which allows employment while awaiting final certification.

For more Information
For more information or questions not answered in the application materials contact Professional Certification. If you have a Washington certificate, please include your certificate number or complete legal name and date of birth.


Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA  98504-7200  360-725-6000  TTY 360-664-3631
Contact Us    |    A-Z Index    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Education Data System (EDS)