Fingerprint/Background check requirement:
Any applicant who does not have a valid Washington educator certificate at time of application must complete the fingerprint and background check requirement. Supporting documentation:
Suicide Prevention Training - Effective July 1, 2015, the candidate
shall attest to the completion of a Professional Educator Standards Board
approved suicide prevention training
within the previous five years. The training program must be at least three
hours in length. (RCW
Plus One of the Following:
- Clock Hours and/or Academic Credit – Professional ESA certificates issued before 9-1-14 may complete 150 clock hours of approved continuing education study and/or equivalent academic credit since the issuance of the most recent certificate. All continuing education clock hours or academic credits shall relate to:
Some clock hours/academic credits must be related to the standards, and some must relate to salary criteria.
- One or more of the following three standards outlined in WAC 181-78A-540
- One of the salary criteria specified in RCW 28A.415.023
- Professional Growth Plans – In lieu of clock hours and/or academic credit, a professional ESA certificate issued under rules in effect prior to 9-1-14 may complete four annual growth plans (PGPs) during the validity period of the certificate for renewal.
By completing the PGPs as defined in WAC 181-79A-030, individuals who complete the requirements of the annual PGP to renew their professional ESA certificate shall receive the equivalent of thirty hours of continuing education credit hours. Completed PGPs qualify for the renewal requirements of other certificates held.
The professional growth plans must document formalized learning opportunities and professional development activities that relate to the standards and “career level” benchmarks defined in WAC 181-79A-270. Individuals may apply their focused evaluation professional growth activities of the evaluation system toward the professional growth plan for certificate renewal.
Template - Form 1697 PGP for Certificate Renewal
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Certification (School Counselors only) – In lieu of clock hours, credits, or four annual PGPs, a professional ESA school counselor certificate may be renewed based on the possession of a valid school counselor certificate issued by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) at the time of application for renewal. Such renewal shall be valid for five years or until the expiration of the NBPTS certificate, whichever is greater.
- National Association of School Psychologists Certification (School Psychologists only) – In lieu of clock hours, credits, or four annual PGPs, a professional ESA school psychologist certificate may be renewed based on the possession of a valid Nationally Certified School Psychologist (NCSP) certificate issued by the National Association of School Psychologists at the time of application for renewal. Such renewal shall be valid for five years or until the expiration of the NCSP certificate, whichever is greater.
An expired professional ESA certificate issued under rules in effect prior to 9-1-14 may be renewed for an additional five-year period by presenting evidence to the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction of completing the continuing education credit hour requirement within the five years prior to the date of the professional ESA renewal application.
top of page