The residency ESA certificate enables the holder to serve in the respective role. When you received your certificate you received an information flyer that explained requirements.
If you DO NOT KNOW what kind of Washington certificate you hold, send an email with your full name (name used at the time of certification), date of birth,
and certificate number (if known) to Professional Certification.
If you hold a VALID RESIDENCY ESA CERTIFICATE you have the following options:
Reissuance of a Residency ESA Certificate
All individuals who have not completed this process, should do so before pursuing residency ESA renewal or the professional ESA certificate.
The residency ESA certificate may be reissued to educational staff associates who:
- Hold a residency ESA certificate with no expiration date.
- Completed two consecutive years of successful service in the role with a Washington public school or approved private school and signed a third-year contract or returned for a third year since the issuance of their residency ESA certificate. The certificate shall be reissued with a defined expiration date.
- Hold a Residency ESA certificate issued with a five-year expiration date but has not completed two consecutive years in the role in Washington state. The certificate may be reissued with no defined expiration date.
ESAs must apply for reissuance of the residency ESA certificate upon completing two years of successful service in the role and signing a third-year contract or returning for a third year with the same Washington public school or approved private school since the issuance of the residency ESA certificate for the role.
Renewal of a Residency ESA Certificate
NOTE: We recommend that individuals who are not employed in the role pursue renewal ONLY when they are ready to return to serving in the role in Washington. This will ensure the validity of renewal will allow time to complete requirements for the professional ESA certificate.
WARNING: If an individual is unsuccessful in completing professional ESA certification requirements during the life of the renewal certificate, there are no further renewal options.
The residency ESA certificate may be renewed , in :
- School counselors may apply for a two-year residency ESA renewal based on enrollment in a state-approved professional ESA certificate program. You must coordinate with the certification officer of the Washington college or university at which you are enrolled in a professional ESA certificate program. The certification officer must submit program enrollment status online before a candidate may apply online for the renewal.
- School counselors who intend to complete assessment for National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) school counselor certification may renew the residency ESA school counselor certificate for two years
by submitting a complete application to the OSPI Certification Office with a
signed affidavit. Provided that residency ESA school counselor certificates
expiring on 6/30/2014 only, may be renewed once for three years due to recent
NBPTS process changes.
- School psychologists in the process of obtaining Nationally Certified School Psychologist (NCSP) certification from the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) may apply for a one-time two-year renewal with verification of NCSP submission.
Additionally, individuals with expiring certificates in 2014, 2015, 2016, or
2017, may apply for a second two-year renewal with verification of NCSP
- School psychologists with residency ESA certificates dated to expire June 30, 2013, 2014, 2015,
2016, or 2017, may apply until June 30, 2016, for a two-year renewal.
These individuals may apply for a second two-year renewal until June 30, 2018.
- Individuals who hold, or have held, a residency ESA school counselor or school psychologist
certificate who are not employed in the role may have their certificate(s)
renewed for five years with completion of one of the following options:
- 15 quarter/10 semester credits of college course work from a regionally-accredited institution of higher
education directly related to the current
performance-based standards as defined in
181-78A-270(5) since the issuance of the residency ESA certificate for the role.
- 150 clock hours directly related to the performance-based standards as defined in WAC 181-78A-270(5) since the issuance of the residency ESA certificate.
top of page