The 1-year conditional CTE certificate enables a school district, which
cannot find a regularly certificated CTE instructor in a specific area, to hire
someone who is highly qualified and experienced in that area. The certificate is
subject to specific limitations and the teacher must complete a written training
plan developed in coordination with the CTE administrator and the CTE advisory
Limitations: (must comply with one of following)
- The candidate is highly experienced in the knowledge and occupational skills of the CTE program to be certified
- The candidate may be employed in new and emerging occupations as identified by the Professional Educator Standards Board or its designee.
Screening. The school district must verify the following screening criteria have been met:
- No person with CTE certification in the field is available.
- Certification is for a limited assignment and responsibility in a specified CTE program area.
- The candidate will be oriented and prepared for the specific assignment and will be apprised of any legal liability, the lines of authority, and the duration of the assignment.
- The CTE administrator and local program advisory committee state the basis on which they have determined that the candidate is competent for the assignment
- A written work and/or educational
experience training plan is on file with the employing district.
- The certificate may be reissued on submission of a new application and evidence that requirements continue to be met.
- The district must advertise the position yearly to find regularly certified CTE instructors for the position before they request a CTE conditional or a CTE conditional renewal.
The certificate is valid for one school year or less.
The certificate is valid only for the teaching area specified on the certificate.
This certificate is initiated by the school district. Please log into your Education Data System (EDS) portal to claim the certificate.
LOGIN TO APPLY